Shetland loch fishing licenses

JAStewart

In theory, to fish pretty much any loch in Shetland you should be a member of the Shetland Anglers Association as they have the necessary agreements with landowners, including paying rent on many lochs. The association also has a restocking programme in some lochs, paid for by memberships.

It's possibly the best value fishing licence in Britain considering the amount of choice.

You can buy a membership online here: http://www.shetlandtrout.co.uk/

Dont get me wrong i think the fishing license is a good thing, it gets a few quid off the tourists.

I know you're only trolling but.......

I think it actually makes more money off people who live in Shetland as that is where the bulk of the SAA permits are sold. They are the people with most to lose if fishing rights are lost or damage is done to our lochs and burns.

Some take out memberships so they can enter competitions but others just to support the work of the SAA.

I dont think there would be a problem fishing in any loch in shetland i have never had any. If fishing is your thing the anglers association would be a good club to join, my two trouts every five years is not worth 25 quid a year. There should be salmon running now no permit needed for dale tight lines.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just come back from a spot of fishing around Scotland, While trying to find free places I read up on the Scottish laws regarding this.

Permits are only required in lochs that are stocked, any wild trout are fair game.

However if the loch is on private land then stricktly speaking permission should be asked of the land owner to remove the fish.

Do the shetland anglers association restock lochs?

I've just come back from a spot of fishing around Scotland, While trying to find free places I read up on the Scottish laws regarding this.

Permits are only required in lochs that are stocked, any wild trout are fair game.

However if the loch is on private land then stricktly speaking permission should be asked of the land owner to remove the fish.

They stock a lot of lochs, i did have a list of lochs and amounts of fish i dont know where i have put it .

Does that include lochs that already had fish in them before someone started stocking them?

The SAA are eco vandals,of the very worst kind, most lochs have their own slightly genetically different trout in them , re- stocking destroys this and increases the risk of spreading disease..... having witnessed , several times now the dumping of large amounts of small wild brown trout after their competitions i have nothing but contempt for the SAA and all it stands for. NO i am not green or anti of any kind , just a keen angler who has respect for the magnficent fish that is Shetlands wild , native , brown trout. Hope to hear from some of the SAA in defence of their stocking policy/competitions ,

yours in anticipation .

The SAA are eco vandals,of the very worst kind

Oh come on. I'm not much in favour of stocking lochs either but that’s not really true, is it?

How many lochs have been interfered with by humans at some point over the last couple of hundred years? How can we be sure of their unique genetic heritage? The SAA stock some lochs and make the details known to their members each year but there is plenty of bucket stocking carried out in an unrecorded fashion by individuals. Are they an even worse kind of eco-vandal?

I would be in favour of the continued stocking of certain lochs such as Tingwall for instance. It has been stocked so many times over the years and the fish there are unlikely to have anything unique about them now. It helps absorb a lot of the angling pressure in Shetland and maybe to keep some of the smaller and out of the way places undisturbed.

What about sea troots? IIRC, the bulk of the SAA's stocking has swung towards trying to re-establish a population here so that we might again see something like the runs of old when the voes and burns were full of them, so the auld eens can tell wis.

Their other option to help restore Shetlands sea troots would be to turn eco-warrior instead of eco-vandal and campaign to have all salmon farms removed from our waters and hope that the stocks recover naturally. A great solution in theory but there are a lot of households that depend on salmon for their income.

As far as dumping fish goes, well that’s indefensible in my eyes. Most of our lochs can easily support a reasonable amount of fish being kept by anglers but killing and dumping them to prove you’re better at killing them than everyone else is just daft.

On the other hand, if the SAA did not organise competitions and leagues then it might cease to function. Who would look out for the troots then? Despite what some might think, their purpose is not to eradicate troots from our lochs but ensure that they are preserved. For every one who you’ve seen dump fish there are probably two who care deeply about what happens to the lochs of Shetland. Contemptible eco-vandals? You can't tar every SAA member with the same brush.