Stena Carron protest in Shetland - Greenpeace Esperanza

jetsam

Regardless of whether you like Greenpeace or not, their action has highlighted the issues of deep water oil exploration. Folk can argue there is zero risk from this, or otherwise. But to simply attack the messenger is a cop out.

Their action has disabled the primary safety system (immediate deployment of anchors in the case of a DP malfunction) of a very large fuel laden vessel very close to shore. Not many folk can argue there is zero risk from this.

Since when was it right to to put lives and the environment at risk to prove a point when, as you say, some people will argue there is zero risk?

Their actions are worse than the people they are protesting about. The oil industry would never be as stupidly reckless as they are showing themselves to be.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From some of the contributions on this topic, the international image of the Shetland community will be of knuckle dragging rednecks discussing the possibility of assault and attempted murder on folk taking part in a peaceful protest.

No. It shows that shetlanders can maintain a sense of humour despite their environment being seriusly threatened by idiots of the highest order effectively disabling the only defence mechanism in place should a laden vessel lose power close to shore.

Apparently these people are "skilled". Take a look :

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/781/gpeace.jpg

Canna even tie a decent knot. I'm seen ropes washed up less tangled dan yun! An where are the quick release contingencies in case of emergency?

Regardless of whether you like Greenpeace or not, their action has highlighted the issues of deep water oil exploration. Folk can argue there is zero risk from this, or otherwise. But to simply attack the messenger is a cop out.

Thats like saying we need a protest group to tell us it gets dark at night! Everybody keens already!

There is absolutely no positives to anything Greenpeace do. Idiocy of the most extreme kind endangering lives and the environment at every opportunity.

KTL, I think your missing the point, people are adding a little shetland humour to these idiots.

The fact is though as said before they are putting more at risk in clinging to a prepared safety device should things go wrong. I am sure it is normal procedure for the Stenna Carron to do this and good old Greenpeace feel it is acceptable to put us and Shetland at risk.

Well done Greenpeace :ponders:

...... and BP continued to pump millions of gallons of oil into the Gulf of Mexico, BP in this country continued with their greenwash PR offensive. That for me is the greater evil than a few caped crusaders in Lerwick harbour.

KTL - I think you don't quite understand that there was not a lot of pumping involved in that incident - a blow out from a reservoir is somewhat different from what you insinuate.

From some of the contributions on this topic, the international image of the Shetland community will be of knuckle dragging rednecks discussing the possibility of assault and attempted murder on folk taking part in a peaceful protest. Not a great image to share with the world.

Matter of opinion! Since when was entering and occupying another's property without their permission legal? I'm sure if I tied myself to the Town Hall doorknob as a protest at the IMHO unacceptable and unsustainable antics of the SIC, and hindering others to use it for the "lawful business". I'm sure Plod would soon coming running across the road and shift me, one way or the other.

If these were local folk, then a whole other ball game. These a folk without any obvious connection with Shetland, a Dane, a German and an Englishman, hijacking Shetland inshore waters for their own largely pointless publicity stunt.

Yes, yes. Its a "global issue" and we're all members of the EU Superstate, yadda yadda. Whatever!

Ignoring them and keeping silent puts out a message to the world that we "approve" and possibly "support" their shenanigans. Yes, they have a right to protest, but when they do it in the backyard of someone who does not approve of either their cause or antics, they are liable to be told where they get off in no uncertain terms.

What the rest of the world makes of that, I really do not care one sot. I am not here to care about Shetland's PR image in the rest of the world.

I'll be a knuckle dragging redneck neanderthal any day rather than being a wishy-washy tree-hugging liberal.

Sincerely,

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq330/Redneck_Hillbilly0504/4725960546a7152564783m.gif

Was everybody aware that they've now attached an all-weather pod to the anchor chain?.

http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/autofrontpage

Simple answer to all this - lower the chain/pod to sea level and then if possible lower a team with grinders over the bow in a cage basket and cut all the lines andpod away.

And yes, what happens if the Stena Carron's DP fails?.

As far as I'm concerned the protesters are not highlighting any particular enviromental issue. The only thing that comes to mind when they are mentioned is that, eventually, someone from the RNLI or the Coastguard will have to risk their neck to go and fish these idiots out of the water when their 'skills' run out. A good gale and they'll come crashing down - the Bressay coast is not particularily soft.

Wait for a fine bit of weather (to give them a sporting chance) and lower the anchor. Once they get the their feet wet, cut them loose. If they continue to risk themselves arrest them.

I have no time for these people. Worse than criminals.

She is a DP 3 vessel, this means she has 3 levels of redundancy .

Meaning that they can lose an engine room, several thrusters ( she has 6 azi-pod thrusters), one of the dp computers etc, etc and she will still maintain her position.

And in the extremely unlikely event of losing all power, she does have another anchor with no concerned environmentalists attached.

Plus an array of support vessels which include the 2 lerwick harbour tugs.

There is more chance of me winning the lottery tonight than this drill ship going ashore......

I bought 6 lines, so here's hoping!

^^ Yes, but. The forecast for the next few days is for it to veer NNE F 5-6, which is fine and well. But, as we all know, forecasts for Shetland are rarely more than ballpark guestimates rather than spot on, and the deeper in to winter it gets the more that maxim applies.

The NNE F 5-6 could easily turn in to ENE or ESE F 6-9 without so much as a warning. And maybe I'm wrong, being no seaman and all that, but I would not expect the SC's Skipper to be altogether happy about lying where he is in those conditions, especially without any real security they wouldn't deteriorate further.

Yes, its a slim chance, but given our weather, having to up sticks from where he is and move for the safety of his vessel cannot be discounted at this time of year. So, unless these human monkey numpties that have tied themselves to him have enough sense to cut and run themselves before he needs to, should conditions require it. He's going to be left with having to make a decision between placing his vessel in greater possible risk while they are persuaded or forced to move, or put them at risk by moving anyway with them still attached. It is not a decision a skipper should be required to make, nor is it one he should ever need to have to make.

And in the extremely unlikely event of losing all power, she does have another anchor with no concerned environmentalists attached.

Plus an array of support vessels which include the 2 lerwick harbour tugs.

There is more chance of me winning the lottery tonight than this drill ship going ashore......

I bought 6 lines, so here's hoping!

Things can and do go tragically wrong all too often. Let's not forget we're approaching the time of year there was an incident very close by which ended in the tragic death of a member of the rescue services. There was plenty of towing power in Lerwick Harbour at that time too. I suspect the Knab and Kebister putting a line on this hulk of a vessel to keep her off the rocks in the face of a force 12 might not have the effect you dream of.

If I understand you, you are saying what they are doing is fine because they still have one available anchor. Well that's alright then!

Do you seriously believe they will still be perched there happily cooking away on their camping stove a month from now incident free like they say? I only hope that not one member of the rescue services has to put thereselves at risk for the sake of these numptys.

BTW, somebody wins the lottery pretty much every time they have one!