Stena Carron protest in Shetland - Greenpeace Esperanza

jetsam

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May be so, but still takes guts. Next folk will call them cowards lol

hanging from a ship in inshore waters 5 minutes from the lifeboat station is not outstandingly courageous, surrounded by witnesses n monitored constantly. As stated above ,all they are risking is the subscriptions drying up for the sake of a quick dip in the sea wi survival suits on

mind back a few year a group of us blockaded sullom voe to get the iopc round the table regarding the braer, green peace were here in seconds and told us they were going to support us ,they never moved from LK and when it was all by with and the fishing boats returnd to LK they came scooting out with the raimbow warrior and joind the prossesion in to the pier with water cannons and big sirens going flat out, anything to get publicity.

mind back a few year a group of us blockaded sullom voe to get the iopc round the table regarding the braer, green peace were here in seconds and told us they were going to support us ,they never moved from LK and when it was all by with and the fishing boats returnd to LK they came scooting out with the raimbow warrior and joind the prossesion in to the pier with water cannons and big sirens going flat out, anything to get publicity.

thats where to hit them , thats protesting

Having to put up with their b/s because it's an allegely free country and they have the right to protest is galling enough

Yes, absolutely. In fact, perhaps we should remove the right to protest from anyone who doesn't agree with us. That would sort out a few of these 'wishy-wash liberals' and their wishy-washy direct action. Send them home! They should voice their opinions anonymously on an internet forum like a normal person. Then we'd live in a better country.

Having to put up with their b/s because it's an allegely free country and they have the right to protest is galling enough

Yes, absolutely. In fact, perhaps we should remove the right to protest from anyone who doesn't agree with us. That would sort out a few of these 'wishy-wash liberals' and their wishy-washy direct action. Send them home! They should voice their opinions anonymously on an internet forum like a normal person. Then we'd live in a better country.

i think you will find the legislation on protests ,strikes n the likes is very tight, even a misplaced idle threat can land folk in the shtie, no harm to protesting but this is sheer waste of time n rescue services valuable funds

i think you will find the legislation on protests ,strikes n the likes is very tight, even a misplaced idle threat can land folk in the shtie, no harm to protesting but this is sheer waste of time n rescue services valuable funds

Yes, sorry. I was being a little bit sarcastic. By the way, how much time and money do you think this protest is costing the rescue services, considering they haven't actually had to do anything except answer questions from journalists, so far as I'm aware.

In fact, perhaps we should remove the right to protest from anyone who doesn't agree with us. .... They should voice their opinions anonymously on an internet forum like a normal person. Then we'd live in a better country.

I wouldn't care less if they wanted to chain themselves to the gates of the terminal or stand at the market cross with megaphones chanting about whatever they want.

What I take issue with is the method of this particular protest.

I'd like to see the RNLI or the Coastguard put out a statement that they will not be risking their own lives to collect these idiots when they eventually end up in the drink. But I know fine well that they won't issue such as statement because they are good folks, who'd take the moral high ground, show real courage, go out in any weather and do whatever is neccessary to try to save a life.

I know a lot has been said about dymanic postioning and redunancy but if the Stena Carron truely doesn't need anchors, why were they part of the design and why were they fitted?

Protest all you want, but don't endanger others in the process.

Yes, sorry. I was being a little bit sarcastic. By the way, how much time and money do you think this protest is costing the rescue services, considering they haven't actually had to do anything except answer questions from journalists, so far as I'm aware.

realistically , distracting the police likely has cost a bit, distracting the coastguard too, every penny of which will be costing us, never mind the £1000 plus per hour when the coastguard helicopter has to go to them. Fair play to the basic principal of protesting and freedom of thinking , but this is rediculously futile gesture

In fact, perhaps we should remove the right to protest from anyone who doesn't agree with us. .... They should voice their opinions anonymously on an internet forum like a normal person. Then we'd live in a better country.

I wouldn't care less if they wanted to chain themselves to the gates of the terminal or stand at the market cross with megaphones chanting about whatever they want.

What I take issue with is the method of this particular protest.

I'd like to see the RNLI or the Coastguard put out a statement that they will not be risking their own lives to collect these idiots when they eventually end up in the drink. But I know fine well that they won't issue such as statement because they are good folks, who'd take the moral high ground, show real courage, go out in any weather and do whatever is neccessary to try to save a life.

I know a lot has been said about dymanic postioning and redunancy but if the Stena Carron truely doesn't need anchors, why were they part of the design and why were they fitted?

Protest all you want, but don't endanger others in the process.

I agree, the coastguard and RNLI won't do that and nor should they. Everyone gets treated the same, just as if some drunk guy heads out in his boat and needs rescuing - circumstances are irrelevant.

I'm not a supporter of Greenpeace, and some of their campaigns have certainly been completely misguided, but there's been some serious exaggerating on this thread. If they were causing a real, demonstrable risk to the ship and crew's safety, they would be quickly removed, no question about it. The risks that people have outlined here are wild, speculative notions - you might as well say that they could get hit my ball lightning, explode and cause damage that way. They are causing a serious nuisance to the oil company, yes, and that's what they intended. But they've come prepared - that pod is not just something they've made out of sticky back plastic. Every time you go out in a boat you take risks, and sometimes people get in trouble and need help. But you prepare yourself and I suspect they are pretty well prepared - they have the time and money to be so anyway. I would be very surprised if they need rescued at any point - and I'll eat my words if they do.

Marine Traffic's AIS Google Map overlay. It is a fantastic resource:

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/default.aspx?centerx=30&centery=25&zoom=2&level1=140

I cropped and labelled the above image from a screenshot.

What a great link enkelt skapninger, I could spend hours looking at where boats are!

I wonder how much fuel Greenpeace are wasting just making pretty pictures on the map?