Fitting of tyres

Guest Raven007

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and the service local companies offer are not sitting there for free either, would you have the cheek (purely rhetorical as im sure you would) to

go to a shop to look at their tv's and ask all the questions then get one off the net?

or test drive car after car then get one south?

or go to a garage with a boot full of spares off ebay and ask them to fix it?

of course you would cos every penny is a prisoner, no thought for the community as a whole, because without trade you have no businesses, without businesses no jobs and ultimately without jobs more people of your ilk.

Why is anyone surprised?? What I have seen of Shetlanders is that they are Greedy Feckin B......s!!!

Well I wouldn't say every penny a prisoner, but think anyone who will pay nearly an extra £50 per tyre surely has more money than me. I'm no out to offend any garage or worker, but I'm afraid 90 odd quid better in my pocket than theirs

If you use sites like mytyres or blackcircles you can arrange for a local place to fit the tyres and pay for it through the site, unfortunately Shetland doesn't have any agents for either site. That's not to say they never will and I'm a little bit surprised none of the fitters in Shetland have signed up would bring in business. I use mytyres myself saved nearly £90 a tyre of vredestein snowtrac 3 tyres that's the kind of saving you can't ignore.

Guest Raven007

Whats wrong with trying to get things done a bit cheaper ! , Im in quite a bit of debt at the moment like a lot of people and im just looking at ways to save a bit here or there , If a garage or buisness doesnt want to fit the tyres then up to them ! And ill find somewhere that does

Even if it only works out £20 or £30 cheaper then its still worth it to me as i can put that saving on my debts.

and the service local companies offer are not sitting there for free either, would you have the cheek (purely rhetorical as im sure you would) to

go to a shop to look at their tv's and ask all the questions then get one off the net?

of course you would cos every penny is a prisoner, no thought for the community as a whole, because without trade you have no businesses, without businesses no jobs and ultimately without jobs more people of your ilk.

Why is anyone surprised?? What I have seen of Shetlanders is that they are Greedy Feckin B......s!!!

Oh dear, how times (and attitudes) have changed, and apparently how easily some folk can be persuaded to part with their money.

All of the above have been done countless times by countless people both in Shetland and south.

If you want to buy a TV you go and look around the suppliers, of course you ask questions, you want the set that does all the extras the way you want them done, or don't you? Of course you check around for prices of the various models and makes from various retailers, and there is no sense in giving any one retailer more of your money than necessary. It is up to the salesperson, when they have you there in their shop asking about their TVs to persuade you to buy it from them by convincing you it is worth the price they are asking. If you get out the door with your cash still in your wallet, the salesperson has failed. Customers looking after retailers well-being is a very recent concept and one that baffles me, retailers hire staff to sell merchandise, if they don't either the staff aren't doing what they're paid to do, or the merchandise or price is wrong.

I don't believe for one moment that south is any different, and that numerous folk aren't visiting electrical retailers there and having TVs demo'd for them, only to go straight home and buy it from some online retailer.

What's wrong with test driving a car here, and then buying it from south cheaper. The local dealer will at least get the warranty work, and potentially supply spares for the vehicle throughout its lifetime in the isles.

Again, don't tell me folk south don't get a test drive of a car they're interested in from their nearest dealer, but buy it from the dealer in some nearby town they've got to hear of that has a deal running on it.

Going to a garage with a boot full of spares off ebay and asking them to fix it. Ha! that and similar is normal in most garages. Lemme tell you of two worse real life examples.

A building contractor from south came to Shetland with four elderly Transit vans to do a few contracts. Inevitably they soon began to show their age, soooo, deposited the one in worst condition at a local garage, and whenever something went wrong with one of the other three they hauled it to said local garage and had them rob the bit needed to fix it off the wreck they'd deposited there. That went on until there wasn't much of the wreck left, so they deposited the worst of the three next to it, and ran two vans, keeping them going on the same robbing basis from the third one. In time it too had mostly been cannibalised, so the worst of the two runners joined the earlier two to keep the one left running.

A (now defunct) Lerwick Taxi operator rolled up at the same local garage (but by then under a different owner) with a car on the end of a rope, and looking un-naturally high in the nose. A quick chat soon ascertained why, the entire engine was in cardboard boxes in the boot, they'd attempted to strip down and rebuild the entire engine themselves, but had discovered that while they were competent in the demolition, they weren't so hot on reconstruction. They wanted garage to do it for them....

I can name the Garage and both building contractor and taxi operator involved, if necessary.

And you know what, in both cases the garage was quite happy to do the work, as although they could not take a cut on the price of any spares used, they at least could charge out hours, which, to that garage at least, was worth a hell of a lot more than the modest percentage they could cream off any spares to sold.

Guest Raven007

I can guarantee ive spent a dammed sight more money in Shetland as Gavva ever has and ever will !

I used to buy everything locally i never checked prices i never haggled , i just bought what i wanted when i wanted and didnt care what it cost me !

I spent thousands and thousands locally , pubs ,restraunts, taxis , takeaways , cds videos , games etc , clothes , cars you name it ive bought it here ! However times have changed, everyone now has access to the internet and can go find whatever they want to purchase for the best price ,

I will continue to buy things locally, but if can save a few pound on something that will help me clear my debts i will , it doesnt mean im greedy im just looking after my money better than i used to. I want to be in a position of having a bit of savings behind me not lying in a overdraft month after month and relying on credit cards, loans etc !

I don't doubt you for a minute GR, and indeed those stories are entirely typical of local garages.

Almost all my experiences with local garages has been along the lines of "we can get it fur de, but du will be cheaper gettin it fae ". Obviously all they make on spares etc is irrelevant, especially when you consider the time it can take to track down some bits and pieces!

I can see no reason why tyres would be any different to any other work you need done.

Wid a brickie turn down a job because the blocks were already delivered, or a chippie because the wid was already there?

^Spot on spinner.

When I got a set of tyres 3 years back through the net the local agent for fitting was round the corner from where I live and I asked the guy who owned the place does it not piss him off not getting the tyre sales and he told me he gets the fee for fitting, balancing etc and a cut of the internet sale which he reckoned was better than getting no business at all. If Shetland fitters took the attitude of screw you boy you didn't buy them from me I'm no fitting them how long do you think it would be before some enterprising individual decided to break ranks and do it just to get customers through the door and some cash in. There is no doubt in my mind some retailers (not all) use Shetlands location as a hammer to batter customers over the head with, I'm all for paying for good service but not when the price difference is substantial, if folk think that being sensible with money is something to be ashamed of then it is very true that a fool is easily parted from their money.

Why is it being diplomatic and helpful ?

They are not doing it for free.

It is cash in their pocket for a quick job.

What exactly do you mean by people of my ilk ?

Oh Gavva ! Not the best way to make friends and influence people. Why do folk continue to put everyone in the same boat? Im sure there are some Shetlanders who are greedy as you say, but to suggest Shetlanders as a whole are greedy FBsss is a bit unfair.