Aberdeen Airport to Northlink Ferry Terminal

Patzel

thanks to everybody I know now how to get to the port... and I won't have to return without Sudocrem :wink:

something else: how difficult is life nowadys for poor smoking souls... like myself...unfortunately

I've read smoking is prohibited (even on deck) of the smaller ferries sailing to the remote islands. I probably will survive those short journeys but the long one to Lerwick?

Only a chance outside?

• 5 weeks later...

some more questions about the ferry:

I don't really want to spend money on a cabin but after having seen the shipping forecasts for a while I am not sure whether it might eventually after all be better to book a cabin...

As long as I have the chance to lie down I am not bothered if the sea is rough but I doubt that a reclining chair will then do.

But some members of the forum mentioned that one could also end up being in a cabin with alcohol steaming companions...

When we've been on the boat to Stornoway there was always plenty space in the lounges (quite comfortable)... tourists usually stayed outside for filming until open water was reached and then they were slightly shocked to find out that locals had foreseen the up and down and accommodated themselves in time on all seats available.

What's best on the North boat? Any advice?

Does staff mind if one just pickes a place in a quiet corner?

There are various areas that are good.

The front bar moves more than any part in my experience, the seats opp the midships bar is a good spot, electric sockets for charging or using laptop with the WiFi.

Failing that the bench type seats at the restaurant but you will be woken a 6 am by security.

The recliners are behind the front bar, access to large single toilet facilities are good.

The ideal spot is the setee/couch where the stairs are, you will need supplies and to be there early, this is the floor above the reception deck.

good luck

another question:

after having watched the shipping forecast for a while now I have not booked on the North boat yet.

Is it usually possible for foot passengers just to show up in time for a sailing and buy the ticket (no cabin) before departure? Or is it inevitable to book in advance?

If the wheather is the same next week I would prefer to be able to change my mind short term and perhaps take the plane from Aberdeen.

another question:

after having watched the shipping forecast for a while now I have not booked on the North boat yet.

Is it usually possible for foot passengers just to show up in time for a sailing and buy the ticket (no cabin) before departure? Or is it inevitable to book in advance?

If the wheather is the same next week I would prefer to be able to change my mind short term and perhaps take the plane from Aberdeen.

no problem with northlink, but ouch with flybe. been a long time since I looked into it but it can be around £300 oneway for a last minute flight to Shetland.

occationally the northboat is full enough that it refuses foot passengers, but very rarely, what I usually do is phone up to check before I head down to pay/board.

Guest don't know

been a long time since I looked into it but it can be around £300 oneway for a last minute flight to Shetland.

A last minute one way flight to Shetland is never around £300. They are in the region of £180-190 depending on how you book. Online the fare with no air discount is £166 plus £21 of taxes, so the total is £187, it will however be slightly dearer if purchased from the airport.

As said before it's a long time since I attempted it. Wasn't aware that it was now possible to book sameday flights up to shetland online. but sure enough it is now £166 for a full price ticket, not often you find flybe actually doing it cheaper than former carriers.

occationally the northboat is full enough that it refuses foot passengers

:shock: hopefully they won't refuse a single lightweight foot passenger...

what also worries me is that there might be again sailings cancelled (if the wheather is bad again)... I do have a plan B but don't know yet whether this works

It's a pity that it's such a long journey. To cross the Minch is easier if there is no ferry available... get a lift on a fishing boat for instance... but I doubt that any of the smaller Aberdeen vessels go fishing so far north

It is very rare for the ferry to be so full that you can't get aboard.

I don't know how easy it is to get a lift from a fishing boats these days but Shetland boats sometimes land at Peterhead and Peterhead boats land in Lerwick. If the weather is too bad for the ferry I would not recommend the North Sea in a fishing boat!

If the weather is too bad for the ferry I would not recommend the North Sea in a fishing boat!

All done already :wink:

crossed the Minch in a gale with a small fishing boat (the ferry wasn't out that day due to the wheather) about 15 years ago

spent most time downstairs in one of the bunks though