Used Car Market

Guest SJP17

Seems to me that there are a hell of a lot of cars for sale at the moment , if you look on here and at lochside there doesnt seem to be much getting sold !

Do you think its the way the country is at the moment or just the inflated prices people are asking ?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's always been the story in Shetland, the available pool of both cars becoming available and potential buyers, tends to be too small to marry up very well.

There's always enough sellers and buyers around at any one time, its just that what most often comes up for sale, isn't what most buyers are looking for, and there's never enough of what most buyers are looking for coming on the market. Sooth, with larger populations and catchment areas, and more diverse car usage patterns, it tends to spin out better.

Really , you think they be better to just sell them rather than store them even if it was for a reduced price ,

I find it strange that they often ship cars south , you think that too would also be more hassle and cost rather than just selling them here ,

The second hand market has been affected by folk not getting rid of cars as often so prices for good second hand cars have risen as the demand for them has grown. My car when I checked it is worth only £500 less right now than it was about this time last year and I've put 15k miles on it since then. It's partially down to fleets keeping cars longer which means the supply of reasonably good condition, decent spec second hand cars is running low so people who are selling theirs can put the price up a bit as there is increased demand. It's starting to calm down a bit here now as I've noticed the price of second hand MK5 golfs dropping a bit in comparison to last year.

I did hear one of our local car dealers has a building rented from the port authority which is full of old cars.

full of old cars? is this one of those " I did hear " stories?.....Yip.

any basis in fact?..... probably not.

I dont know ? I was told a shed full at dales voe .

I did hear one of our local car dealers has a building rented from the port authority which is full of old cars.

full of old cars? is this one of those " I did hear " stories?.....Yip.

any basis in fact?..... probably not.

I dont know ? I was told a shed full at dales voe .

if you substitute "shed full of old cars" for newly delivered brand new cars awaiting delivery to thier owners when the new registration comes out ie september and march you may have been closer to the mark.

^^ If the old are the result of trade-ins on new sales, chances are its the car maker's who have a good bank manager.....umm, well, yeah they do, the governments of various nations who baled them out, with "our" money. :evil:

What dealers give for trade-ins is largely dictated by the makers, and between massive stockpiles worldwide not all than long ago, and them all virtually going bankrupt, they need to keep the cashflow up, even if it means taking a hit that only leaves them with getting cost returned. If they can cover the cost of buying the trade in and storing it from the normal profit margin on a new car, until the dealer can either shift it or its not worth keeping any longer, they no doubt will just to shift a new sale.

Didnt mean to rattle turningrights cage. This weeks paper one of our car dealers has a quarter of a millon pounds worth of peoples cast off cars for sale. Not good when Septembers trade ins have not arrived. If your in the market for a second hand car hold off bargains to be had.

Didnt mean to rattle turningrights cage. This weeks paper one of our car dealers has a quarter of a millon pounds worth of peoples cast off cars for sale. Not good when Septembers trade ins have not arrived. If your in the market for a second hand car hold off bargains to be had.

your assumptions have let you down again, in years previous the used car market has been valued in excess of 30 billion pounds anually.

i dont think many would favourably term such a market as "cast offs" this may of course be indicitive of the little middle class delusion you live in. not everyone can or is willing to buy new.

i would also be wary of your ill placed and ill informed advice to "hold off for bargains" as if last year was anything to go by given the slowing of available used cars (substitute for cast offs as you see fit) saw a month on month increase in used car value.