microsoft word

Guest SJP17

Microsoft are incredibly protective of their products. If you get a "pirate" copy or even a second-hand copy, as soon as you go to their site to download a service pack for it, as far as I'm aware their software checks that you are the legit owner.

How much action they take I've no idea but I do know of someone years ago who got done by them!

yes ive heard that , ive tried a few downloads but they never worked , i also tried to install microsoft works 7.0 which i got from a friend but that never worked , no sure if its because of vista ,

no ive no tried open office is that just an internet based program ? , and no im not a student so cant get it free like that, i dont think some o the older ones are compatible we vista and what is on e-bay is quite expensive , maybe ill just bite the bullet and buy the standalone program , it is quite handy to have

I've never been a fan of Word, but, as it is essential to be able to work with Doc files, I have had to use it. When OpenOffice arrived I changed over to using it exclusively. Being a clone of Office, its Word replacement app has many of the same irritations (for me), but frankly I actually prefer using it to Word. Same for its PowerPoint replacement. Both do everything I require of them.

Yup, Open Office for me too

I tried it a few years ago on the Mac (OS 10.3) but it wasn't particularly 'shiny' and felt a bit disjointed as it ran under X11, the Linux windowing environment. So I ran Neo Office, a Mac Java port of Open Office, for years.

But since Open Office 3 / Mac OS 10.4 / Intel chips, Open Office runs as a native application and it feels like a much more 'pro' application.

So if you tried it on your Mac a while back but weren't impressed, its worth looking at again.

There's a couple of bits n pieces that MS Word does that Open Office doesn't and vice versa, but none of them critical. For me, the fact that Open Office has a database program, which was sorely lacking in the Mac version of MS Office, means I won't be bothering with MS again.

And it means my Mac is completely free of Microsoft applications :wink: