Scottish Ferries Consultation Document and Questionnaire

Frances144

I received this in an email from Northlink:-

The message below is from Bill Davidson Chief Executive, NorthLink Ferries on behalf of the Scottish Government.

NorthLink Ferries has agreed to circulate this message by e-mail to all our customers for whom we hold e-mail addresses.

There are 3 separate but related consultations on which the Scottish Government seeks your views.

----------------------------------

The Scottish Ferries Review has the objective of setting a plan for future ferry services up to 2022.

There are a series of 33 questions to which your response is sought.

The relevant consultation documents and questionnaire can be found at http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2010/06/17134718/0

-------------------------

At the same time the Scottish Government is seeking your views on the options for the next contract (2012-2018) for the lifeline ferry services to Orkney & Shetland.

These are the services currently operated by NorthLink Ferries and the contract is due to be tendered in the near future.

There are a series of 14 questions to which your response is sought.

The relevant “Northern Isles†consultation document and questionnaire can be found at http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2010/06/17134459/0

---------------------------------

In parallel the Scottish Government is seeking your views on a series of 8 potential changes in the current NorthLink services.

These are all intended to reduce costs or increase revenue – and follow announcements earlier this year of cost cutting changes which were subsequently postponed.

The Scottish Government is currently undertaking an “Impact Assessment†for each option and the views of service users are sought.

The proposed changes (A/One to A/Eight) are described at http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Transport/ferries-ports-canals/14342/NIS

The Scottish Government has indicated a willingness to accept responses after the closing date shown.

I think all in Shetland who have given Northlink an e-mail address will have got this - which is helpful.

I see that the Scottish Government have extended the period for comments on the cost saving options put forward for the current contract.

I would encourage as many Shetlinkers as possible to comment on these consultations. It is pretty over the top to be expecting people to grapple with all three consultations at one time but at least this lays it all out and gives links to the relevant documents.

Conspiracy Theory Alert!

Do you think that they think that if they write enuff pages of guff, we will lose the will to live, do nothing and then they can do what they want and say "well, we did ask you, but no one replied".....?

I think that's exactly what they're trying to do!

People who care about your opinions give you nice little tick boxes. :)[/b]

Guest CyprusPluto
Conspiracy Theory Alert!

Do you think that they think that if they write enuff pages of guff, we will lose the will to live, do nothing and then they can do what they want and say "well, we did ask you, but no one replied".....?

I think that's exactly what they're trying to do!

People who care about your opinions give you nice little tick boxes. :)[/b]

Totally agree. Let's hope they read this forum. They should be ashamed of themselves for that garbage they're sending out

it is the same "garbage" whereever you are, generally spoken they will in the end change timetables, they will alter routes and/or ports, they will increase the fares... if not for islanders then for tourists (less will come) or increase freight charges (goods cost more)...

with the questionnaires they just hope (perhaps) for a little bit of brainstorming... if someone could suggest something what could increase revenue for the benefit of some never for the benefit of all... but "sadly" they will probably implement their changes nevertheless

doesn't that remind me of our German health insurance und electricity costs?

Thinking back when I lived in Stornoway ferry fares were higher than they are just now. This might lighten the load for islanders, it might also bring more tourists on the islands, but will an increase in the number of people using the ferries ever make up for the cut of fares? Since costs fot maintaining the ferries go up?

In the end money will be missing here and there and the bill is presented on those who are depending on the ferries.