plastic vs wood windows

DizzyKipper

Guest Anonymous

A lot of the pvc windows struggle to cope with the wind, buckle and leak put in a good hardwood window and look after it and it will outlast you.

but like anything else neglect it like quite a few in council houses and they will be buggered in no time.

I had hardwood windows installed in my house 20 odd year ago when everest first had their ads on telly for their pvc windows and now this year they are replacing them and very proud they are about how long they have lasted, in the same period I have painted mine every 3 year with one coat of decent wood finish(valti) and now I will have to replace a few of the double glazed units as the seals have gone £100 on paint and another £100+/- for the double glazing and they will see me of this mortal coil, so my advice to you is go and see T&N

Guest Anonymous

I'll take hardwood over redwood anytime And when I got my windows from Smith and Harpers (T&N) they were using hardwood from sustainable plantations long before it became fashionable

Guest Anonymous

misting is just the double glazing unit ie the glass that is the problem DK and that is not too hard or expensive to replace, the leaky ones on the other hand should be replaced before they cause damage.

• 3 weeks later...

upvc windows come with a 10 year guarantee & fitted properly will out last wood any day. First what twists most, wood or upvc, upvc doesn't warp and is 100% water and airtight. I have a door fitted by Gibby 24/7, what a difference it made, from a door that leaked constantly and was as cold as sin, now I have a warm front porch that does not leak. By the way this doors are not made in Shetland, they are made in Elgin. (Nothing against Shetland made products). These windows are tested to an extremely high standard. Just a last comment. Why is Shetland the only place that still insists on using wooden windows/doors????????? (By the way it is not because they leak or are drafty)

We had UPVC window frames on the Council Estate where I used to live in East London. They were a burglar's dream, so much so that my neighbour on the ground floor caught some toe rag trying to break into his gaff (It didn't help in that said Council sub-contractors had installed them incorrectly in the first place). From Day 1, the windows were draughty. Six years on and I hear that the same windows are being replaced.

Perhaps not surprisingly, but every building survey I type up where UPVC window frames are installed come with the recommendation by the Building Surveyor (who, incidentally, is not on commission) to replace said ghastly windows with wooden ones, preferably with trickle ventilation or night latchers.

As far UPVC frames lasting longer; then how do you explain that many a Listed Building still has the original wooden frames going back several centuries provided, of course, that one maintains said wood correctly in the first place?!

Wood over UPVC any day.

• 6 years later...