plastic vs wood windows

DizzyKipper

• 3 weeks later...

the problems arent with UPVc vs Wood, the problems are with poorly made, cheap UPVc  vs Wood windows..... had 3 yr old plastic windows in my house when i moved in bought south by previous owner, the hinges had seized and they were drafty (poor installiation) vs another house which has 12yr old locally made UPVc and still as good as new

the hardwood windows in the house, were ok but they were installed in the 1988 and had no insulation around them or in the dormers.....hence not only were they draughty but also everything around them. replaced with plastic to save the painting....

however there is something nice about a solid wood door, heavier and feels nicer than plastic

you pay for what you get at the end of the day

In my opinion the problem is more with the glazing rather than whether the window is made of of plastic or wood.

Not sure if this is a problem with the local glass firm or the sealants used,but some of the units do not last long before moisture appears between the panes.

Also a problem to find the hardware for some windows,they appear to use non standard sizes! 

We have locally made plastic windows in the original part of our house and they are poorly made rubbish, draughty, noisy, we have to put cardboard under the catches to get them to close tightly as bits have broken off, and if you leave them on the first catch and someone opens the door they blow right open, we have slightly newer plastic windows upstairs which are alot better but i opted for alu clad Nordans for the extension and will be replacing all the other windows with these over a period of time.