Burning the Koran

JustMe

Anyone got any thoughts about the U.S. Pastor intending to burn the Koran on the anniversary of the 9/11 atrocity?. Well even though he has now agreed to postpone the burning. My own thoughts are quite simple. No way should this person be allowed to do this in the same way as no one should be allowed to burn the Bible or any other Holy book in public.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah gotta say I have no problem allowing someone to burn whatever book they want as long as they own it, but when the act is used to incite religious tension and hatred that's when I think there's a problem. The media will cover what the media covers, i'm just glad there is a strong backlash against this guy.

I still hold the media responsible for the backlash this has caused.

The modern media wields huge power in manipulating the masses.

You can see it clearly at work in this case.

If it hadn't been streamed around the world on 24hr news and in every paper it would have stood western countries much better in their condemnation of it.

Perhaps this is just an opening gambit to try and get the upcoming conflict with Iran going.

This U.S. Pastor is nothing but a dung stirring bloody fool whats the man thinking off how can there ever be peace in this world when there's twats like that stirring it up..If i was a muslim id be outraged at this man's actions as a christian would feel if muslems were burning the bible...

Unfortunately this mans actions can cause things to quickly escalate out of control and plays into the hands of the extremists . I think this pastor is aff his heed!!

But one thing that does get my goat is the double standards of a 'minority' of muslims. On the BBC news we see what is a so called peaceful demo in England, at which a speaker suggests that American soldiers should be targeted because of this guys actions. And further afield they are burning efigies of the pastor, so thats surely ok then!!!!

The book is only so much paper and ink after all, and the guy himself is some little tinpot preacher man with a handful of followers. In the big picture it has no more relevance in the world than Hill's declaration at the Cross at midsummer.

Had the former been given the same media attention as the latter, its more than it deserved. Either it was a slow news day in Florida, or someone had a big wooden spoon and wanted to see how well it stirred. Mountains out of molehills, blown entirely out of proportion....Gotta say the Terry Jones dude must be loving it, but what a way to get your 15 mins of fame. :roll:

Having watched the BBC coverage of this tonight, I have to agree with one of their reporters who said that if this act goes ahead it will be playing right into the hands of Muslim Extremists.

I agree with Ghostrider that a book is only paper and ink, but although it is OK to burn a crappy novel, in my opinion, I would never condone the burning of any publication which is related to a religious order. That's just asking for trouble, and perhaps another war.

Although, maybe another war is the US plan to reduce their unemployment problem. :wink:

I sorry but I can not be bothered if this man wants to burn the Koran, Bible or any other Denomination’s books. I would hang all in the nearest public toilet and save the cost to the public purse on toilet rolls. And if other idiots get upset by this than tough titty.

But why it gets news coverage is beyond me. It is no more important in the world as Tony Blairs book is. That there is even one moron I the world who would waste money on either book.

But I agree with all, here who blame the media for most of the nonsense and hype

The next thing will be a special news report interrupting all the other poop with some BBC expert on the subject found in some cupboard and numerous reports live from outside the Vickers door

Guest Anonymous

burnt many a page from the bible and the koran always found the koran to be a better smoke :lol:

And as for muslims burning the bible it happens all the time, you can even be arrested in some muslim countries for possesing a bible, so to be honest they really can't complain whatever this silly sausage does

The media love this kind of story its totally ballooned in the last few days but its no wonder really. The muslim extremists are aptly named, if this guy goes ahead then who knows what will happen. One things for sure I'll would be extremely wary of travelling over the Atlantic in a plane!

Cheers