Ferry fares

Trout81

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Last year i went south on the boat on my own and with my car. i paid nearly £400 just getting from here to aberdeen. i think the fare is relitive cheap, but the cabins - sepecialy if your on your own (and under occupying a cabin) is a compleet rip off. i vowed id never go on the boat again in the summer with the summer prices they charge.

sometimes to get a tv hogging a 4 berth is the cheapest way too. otherwies known as bed blocking.

if thats crusing - expencive cabins with no tv i dont want to go crusing!

aleast now they have tea/coffee which is a slight improvment

I've been planning a trip away at fairly short notice, and for the three of us I am paying £168 on the boat - cabin one way - and £45 return for the train, whereas the airfare would have been £511. If I had added the cabin the other way I would still be paying under £300. Flying to Aberdeen instead was not much less - £430, plus I would still have had to add £45.

Peak season islander tariff Lerwick--Aberdeen without a berth £50.12 per person return. Aberdeen--Edinburgh from £20 return by train (advance ticket) so £140.24 return for 2 people. Possible to get an even cheaper deal using the coach from £8 return so £116.24 return for 2.

Booking ahead and using the Air Discount card I did see Sumburgh to Edinburgh flights at just below £110 a person.

Or for island pensioners using their ferry vouchers and bus pass it is possible to get to Edinburgh and back by ferry and coach for £0.00......or £1 if you want to book the coach ticket in advance.