Xmas and New year

Bryando

Myself and partner are looking to come up to Shetland over Xmas and New Year.

Can anybody pont me in the direction of a good self catering place, prefer in or around Lerwick?

Trying to price it up. No doubt be a fortune as during the year we've found taking a holiday within Scotland is a costly! Some places I know and to be honest rather shocked, Robbery for tourists.

Thanks

Don't bother is the best advice as most places shut down from christmas eve till first monday/tuesday in the new year. If you are coming for the scenery and the wildlife then fine in a self catering place but you will find it very hard to go out for a meal anywhere as most restaurants are closed over this period for some reason I still haven't figured out.

As far as I'm aware, the Chinese restaurants etc are open every day, including Christmas day in some cases, and if you're self-catering, the supermarkets will also be open. I can't imagine the hotels shut over that period either, so I think faraway's post is a bit of an exaggeration. Some of the shops on the Street, and probably the cafes too, will close for a week I'd imagine. But that's the same with small businesses everywhere. It's not going to be limitless choice, but if you wanted that you wouldn't be thinking of Shetland in the first place I guess.

Yes but again only my thoughts. I work in the Tourist industry and always thought it very strange that all the restaurants and hotels shut down. So yes don't bother with christmas and new year up here. However if you can delay your plans till the last Tuesday in January then Shetland is well worth a visit.

As far as I'm aware, the Chinese restaurants etc are open every day, including Christmas day in some cases, and if you're self-catering, the supermarkets will also be open. I can't imagine the hotels shut over that period either, so I think faraway's post is a bit of an exaggeration. Some of the shops on the Street, and probably the cafes too, will close for a week I'd imagine. But that's the same with small businesses everywhere. It's not going to be limitless choice, but if you wanted that you wouldn't be thinking of Shetland in the first place I guess.

I work in the Hotel industry and yes they are all shut over that period of time so no exaggeration on my part. Why don't you try and book a meal for yourself over that period.

faraway is partly right in as much as accommodation; hotels shut 25th/26th dec; and 1st/2nd jan; but otherwise the lerwick hotel, the kveldsro house hotel, and the shetland hotel are open up to and including 24th; are open 27th--31st inclusive, and then again open fully on 3rd jan; so on the food side of this thread plenty to choose from; but true to say that the individual who wants to come might have to look at selfcatering or outside lerwick for the accommodation on 25 and 26 dec.

Yes the Lerwick Shetland & Kveldsro are open but I wouldn't recommend of of these for a nice meal out and lets face it unless your visiting family Shetland over Christmas new Year is a ghost island. There are no functions available for tourists to spend xmas and new year unless you count Posers. So yes again only my opinion but I wouldn't bother with Shetland if your looking for entertainment in any way.

why keep a hotel open and staff working for 1 guest doesn't make much sense, staff get to enjoy xmas and new year with family hotel owner isn't seriously out of pocket simple really

Times have changed - or have they? Many an establishment up and down the UK would never previously have opened on a Sunday, let alone over the Christmas break and yet, as the decades have gone by, many an establishment does that to survive. Look at Blackpool for example:-

Years ago, a B&B/hotel would open during the summer and for the illuminations. Nowadays, it is not uncommon to see "Turkey & Tinsel" posters up in the windows of hotels, thus getting money from people coming to stay in November/December, be they just there overnight or on a coach trip for a meal.

The hoteliers realised they had to diversify to what the market/public wanted or go bust.

So would you rather staff and owners enjoyed their Christmas or would you rather they diversified, advertised, got in the bookings so that they could afford to continue to offer employment to their staff for years to come - or take the view "We've never done that blah blah" and go bust?