Time to enter the real world(ish)

And then you can do a Phd if you really want to and spend another three years "thinking" about what your gonna do after that! :D Then go travelling, and think for another few years!

Well done on finishing High school mate, i remember (vaguely cos it was a loooooong long time ago) feeling relief mixed with sort of "oh S**t" - because you have made it to the end of the conveyor belt system that has been your life in education since the tender age of five, and your like OH F**K - what am i going to do with meself!

Take some time out, give yourself a pat on the back, and go have a beer or three - then burn your books and dance with glee in the moonlight! :wink:

Three cheers for JA Stewart - Hip Hip.... :D

P.S.

ANY i REPEAT ANY careers officer / guidance teacher that tells you ya must go straight into uni, or it will all end in tears, is a darned liar. Dont you be forced into more education right away unless you are sure that is what you want - take a well earned break fae academia my friend.

I had no idea what i wanted to do. I just went to UNI in to a course that could be used for a lot of jobs and took it from there.

Do have to admit though that when UNI did end I thought I would easy find a job in Shetland useing my degree but it was not so!

Take some time out, give yourself a pat on the back, and go have a beer or three - then burn your books and dance with glee in the moonlight! :wink:

Three cheers for JA Stewart - Hip Hip.... :D

We're all actually gonna have a bonfire to burn it all! weee

A piece of guidance i was made aware of recently is a growing trend in school leavers pursuing distant learning courses through the OU or appropriate colleges, enabling them to work throughout their studies and actually make money instead of accumulating debt.

Not as 'fun' as Uni maybe, but highly practical, and you can get the same qualifications at the end of the day.

ps i got terrible careers guidance when i left school, there's a lot to be said for focussing your studies on what you enjoy or find easy, as opposed to what seems like the best career path.

Or you could just train as a plumber and be mega-rich, with no hassle at all. :wink:

aye, my careers advice was hardly helpful, they couldna offer much beyond that UNI maybe wasn't for me, and they didna ken onythin about the subject i wanted to study, knew what i wanted to do so just went for it onywye, blyde but i'm still here 6 years later, hangin on to the last of my student days, i hate acedemia but at least i don't have to face the 'real world' for another year :D

Guest yaduk

I remember being told that I wouldn't go very far in further education and I should just go on a work placement. This was around the time I was in 4th year.

1 HNC, 1 Masters, 1 PgDip later .... :roll: and here I am doing my thang!

Ironically, from the real world working, learning,and training experience i've accumulated as a result of that poor guidance, i would now make a fantastic careers guidance operative! :wink:

(Competitive rates, student discount!)

So today I had my last exam of high school 8O

Its pretty scary that I now must actually do something with myself :cry:

Dwelling on the past, from back when I was young

Thinking of my school days and trying to write this song

Classroom schemes and dreams

Man they couldn't save me

Cos my days were numbered when I signed down on Avy

Teenage kicks running out what could we do

I still show respect to my boys who made it through

And getting told off Mr T how my life would be

Then giving him a signal