price comparisons

Guest Anonymous

I was looking to treat myself to a Nintendo DS lite, however after today I have changed my mind.

What changed my mind I hear you ask? Ok I will tell you...

THE BLOODY RIDICULOUS PRICE OF THEM!

Two weeks ago I could have got one for £110 + p&p from Amazon, todays prices on Amazon are £149.99 "Reduced" to £110.00. So I went shopping in Lerwick today and the price in one well known shop was £149.99 (And that was the standard price!) talk about a ruddy rip off!.

Needless to say I didn't buy one (Nor will I be buying one at those prices).

I am obviously missing the point on this one.

Why didn't you buy it for £110?

I was waiting for the January sales, little did I know the item would cost more in the "Sale"!.

It is still £110, though. The VAT increase would add a little, though.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Far Haaf - before slagging off Malcolm, think about what you wrote.

Where, in Lerwick, can Malcolm purchase this item for £110?

FFS! Dave I think the point Malcolm is making is in fact that he can't purchase the item in question from Amazon for £110! Or am I reading that wrong?

Cheers

Sorry Dave, I am totally confused now by the post in question!

What's the bloody problem? Just buy it from Amazon, if it's 40 quid cheaper for something that retails at £149 then surely thats a bargain!

ps I'm all for buying local but if those are a true reflection of costs online v local then sometimes buying online IS the only option. If it was £20 dearer local than online and I wanted it on the day I would pay that bit extra!

Cheers

Ok lets see if I can put this any clearer.

Amazon price in November £110.00

Amazon "January" sale price £110.00 "Reduced from £149.00".

Shop in Lerwick (just after christmas) £149.00 (£39.00 dearer than Amazon), RIP OFF PRICE!.

As to where I come from, Well that has got sausage-all to do with you or the point I am making!

Guest Anonymous

RRP £149.99 that is the price it normally sells at

price in Lerwick £149.99 hardly a rip off

price on amazon sale £110 and you still think it is a rip off.

but it is hardly the fault of the Lerwick retailer that they are selling a product at the price set by the manufacturer. unless of course you think the retailer should operate at zero profit. :roll:

89.99! Somebody explain to me how any local retailer or even any independant retailer on the mainland can compete with that? :shock:

Cheers

Well not charging VAT is a good way to keep the price down. Of course somewhere in the small print Play.Com do warn you that they ship from the Channel Islands so you might have to pay the VAT if your parcel is stopped by the customs. Now I think that is unfair competition.

There is only one obvious point from this topic.

Shetlanders don't want to have any local shops. If I were a retailer in Shetland reading this thread I would simply give up and shut the door. I get great service from local retailers, with a special mention for the Shetland Times Book Shop and the Camera Centre, and a few others I can't think of just now.

I never think they are ripping me off for charging the manufacturers recommended retail price, because I know the profit margins they are operating on.

If you take a view of profit margins in the retail sector then you will find that the only retailer in Shetland who is actually ripping people off is Tesco..

:roll: :roll:

I am a qualified accountant, albeit retired now.

I am a shopper who calculates on virtually everything I buy at Tesco to see that I am getting good value. Every store is in business to make a profit but not once have I ever left Tesco feeling that I have been "ripped off" by them. I compare prices and check the cost of £x per litre, kg etc and will buy the quantity that gives me the best price and of the quality that I want.

You may feel that you are being ripped off but there are many that happy to shop there, including me.

I have no involvement with Tesco whatsoever but I am always happy to support them.

Guest posiedon
Far Haaf

If you take a view of profit margins in the retail sector then you will find that the only retailer in Shetland who is actually ripping people off is Tesco..

Well said that wo/man. :thmbsup

Far Haaf

Well said that wo/man. :thmbsup

Tesco today candle low energy bulbs 20p, Local electrical shop 499p I needed 12 and wish i had gone to Tesco first. I will shop at Tesco first next time.