local produce markets and LETS

Patzel

Do local markets exist in Shetland, where farmers and also hobby farmers sell their local produce directly?

In many villages in Bavaria there is (mostly during the summer, some all year round) a weekly farmers market, where one can buy a large variety of fresh local produce such as eggs, meat, vegetables, butter, cheese, bread etc. in a better qualitiy compared with shops and supermarkets.

Some farmers also offer regular delivery which means you subscribe one and then get weekly (or monthly) a selection of regionally produced food delivered to your doorstep.

I think this is a good idea because it opens local trade opportunities to producers and people get food of high quality (also environmental friendly because no long transports are necessary).

Anything like this in Shetland?

And how about LETS (Local Exchange Trading Systems)?

I am a member in our local LETS and it's really working perfectly. So I got all my firewood cut within this system, got someone for window cleaning, someone to help collect the horses poo off the pastures... I did some English tutoring for others, gave riding lessons, helped transporting household goods with my trailer...

it's such a fine opportunity to exchange work, goods etc. without needing any money. Many people who are on income support are members and for them especially it's very practicable.

Any LETS in Shetland?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Farmers Markets Yes, LETS scheme No.

I agree you with on the LETS scheme, it is something that I would love to see operating in Shetland.

As regards the Farmers Markets, while they are good as they are there are always more opportunities for more local produce, and it is great to see the current interest in food growing projects.

Farmers markets are a way of life here.

There are a couple every weekend.

Great prices, great locations (most) the one at Hoghton Hall is good, good folk and good food.

It lets the arts and crafts get involved with food gifts and the such, one makes soap, another a cabinet maker.

It also keeps the money in house so to speak.

Lets is a good idea and is already practiced amongst allotment users, needs to be used in conjunction with farmers markets, someone who cannot get their produce to a certain market could swap for stuff they sell and so on.

This needs to be widened. A good thread

Farmers markets are a way of life here.

There are a couple every weekend.

Great prices, great locations (most) the one at Hoghton Hall is good, good folk and good food.

It lets the arts and crafts get involved with food gifts and the such, one makes soap, another a cabinet maker.

It also keeps the money in house so to speak.

Lets is a good idea and is already practiced amongst allotment users, needs to be used in conjunction with farmers markets, someone who cannot get their produce to a certain market could swap for stuff they sell and so on.

This needs to be widened. A good thread

You fail to mention that you live in Preston, so your last post will be confusing to anyone who does not know that you are not talking about Shetland in your reply. Especially the OP who asked about LETS in Shetland.

Hmm, so, old folk will think that Farmers markets are a way of life in Shetland.

oh, one thing, on the left of my post....

Myself and Patzel are the only ones so far in this topic to divulge our location.

Who knows where the others are from....

You can pick me up on my grammar now, I left it open for you.

Help the aged, tell em where you live, so patronising.

Who said anything about old people?

I can only assume that you are reading OP as "old people" instead of "original poster" which is what OP means to most forum users.

I was only pointing out that you were refering to Preston, England and not Shetland in your reply, which is off topic as the OP was asking about Shetland.

Most people don't read forum users profiles, any even if they did would a German know that Preston is not in Shetland?

The way the post read to me was that you were refering to Shetland farmers markets in your reply. It wouldn't have taken much to point out that you were refering to a different area of the UK.

I won't even bother asking about the point about grammer.

I would like to say that you have not posted anything relevant to the topic.

OP old people, funny, u not think.

Here in the UK mainland, we have farmers markets.

I too would like to see more in Shetland, but, it was even written 80 years ago that Shetlanders can have difficulties creating a sustainable co-op, as with the knitting. An observation by W. Moffatt. Someone who also tried to promote his roots.

These ideas have been tried and bounced about.

New stuff, oooh no.

oh, one thing, on the left of my post....

:shock:

That is a barefaced attempt to mislead. It reads "Preston" now, but only because you have changed it. When you made your post it definitely read "Priests Town." Do you care to explain why you tried such a shoddy stunt?

Here we go again.

Yes indeed, but why? Because rather than accepting Beachcaster's entirely valid point, you prefer to try to defend the indefensible by way of a black lie which is clearly meant to show that Beachcaster had failed to notice evidence which was not present. You brazenly faked your defence in a manner which attacked Beachcaster. Highly slimy behaviour in my opinion.

Priests Town is Preston.

Although that is not 100% accurate, I am quite aware of the etymology of the name Preston. As Beachcaster clearly highlighted, even if Preston had been in the Location field, which it wasn't, your post was misleading to people who (unlike paulb, myself, Beachcaster et al.) are not aware you live in Preston.

And, what has it got to do with you?

Simple. I do not approve of lies. If you or anyone else choose to lie, I will highlight the lie. Is that not the correct thing to do in such circumstances?

The thing I like about Farmers markets is it is always fresh produce, not this same old bland rubbish that seems to come in the same packaging.

The trouble with this bland rubbish is it appears on different shelves in different locations, but still the same old rubbish.

Products advertise them selves as the be all and end all, but they are generally packed with water and have no real substance.

Here where I am in Priests Town

Preston is recorded in the Domesday Book as "Prestune" in 1086.[4] Various other spellings occur in early documents: "Prestonam" (1094), "Prestone" (1160), "Prestona" (1160), "Presteton" (1180), and "Prestun" (1226). The modern spelling occurs in 1094, 1176, 1196, 1212 and 1332.[5] The town's name is derived from Old English Presta and Tun, the Tun (enclosure, farmstead, village, manor, estate).[6] of the Presta (priest or priests)
Wikied, we have several.

You generally get a good wholesome product, value for money and very tasty, unlike those from supermarkets which can be packed with E numbers. It also goes off quicker than fresh produce, and is bitter to the taste cos it was grown in hard water areas.

We have just been picking berries and nuts. They seem to be abundant this year.

Still cannot discover the lie. I changed it to clarify. So, did not lie, you need to retract. It means the same. You are above your station.

Myself and Patzel are the only ones so far in this topic to divulge our location.

Who knows where the others are from....

The location of a poster is irrelevant if their post is relevant to the topic, and as pointed out by EM, you changed your location in an attempt to deceive either myself or other forum user who have read this thread.

I would like to say that you have not posted anything relevant to the topic.

Perhaps not in your eyes, but I have pointed out something that is irrelevant to this topic, i.e. your post about Preston.

Here we go again.

Yawn....

Priests Town is Preston.

You may think that it is the same, but anyone not familiar with the area will think that it is two different places. If it is the same, then why did you feel the need to change your location to clarify things? You can't have it both ways.

And, what has it got to do with you?

When you post something on an open forum, that post has something to do with everyone who reads it, this is not your private thread. Anyone who has an opinion has the right to make a post.

yup its always been clear that shetlandpeat is in the Preston area.

It is clear to anyone who is familiar enough with Shetlink to know that SP is in the Preston area, anyone not familiar cannot be expected to know this, so it would be easier all round to point out this fact? Its not rocket science, just common sense.

You are above your station.

Resorting to personal insults does nothing for the thread, but it does give the impression that you have run out of constructive comments, so you are resorting to low blows in an attempt to win an un-winable situation.

At the end of the day, you have made a mountain out of a molehill, all I suggested was that you made it clear that you were referring to a different area of the UK than what the original post was aimed at.

A reasonable person would not think that a simple request like that was too much to ask.

Guest posiedon
paulb

yup its always been clear that shetlandpeat is in the preston area.

Yup but which one? There are 13 Preston' in England (Yes I know it's Lancashire) But.............

:)

I used to be a postie and it could be a nightmare when folk didn't use the post code.

Preston Dorset

Preston Dorset

Preston Gloucestershire

Preston Gloucestershire

Preston Kent

Preston Kent

Preston Lancashire

Preston Northumberland

Preston Northumberland

Preston Rutland

Preston Sussex

Preston Staffordshire

Preston Yorkshire (East R)

There is to be a farmers market in Aith hall 3rd October, see here.