local produce markets and LETS

Patzel

Still cannot discover the lie. I changed it to clarify. So, did not lie, ...

You deliberately misquoted what your Location field displayed at the time of the post. That is a lie. The finer nuances of the meaning of the name Preston are quite irrelevant to that.

you need to retract.

I think not.

It means the same.

Actually it doesn't. Indeed, were one inclined, it could be argued just as convincingly (but pointlessly) that you were living in Papa Stour. Note that the etymology you provide speaks of Tun, not Town. Town comes from Tun, but Tun had a wider and different meaning. As I say, quite irrelevant, but Priest's Town is not 100% correct.

You are above your station.

I am interested to understand more about this, specifically just what you decree my actual station to be, and in what way I have transgressed the social hierarchy.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any thing constructive?

So, I clarified my location. I have not LIED as you accuse. We are all users of this forum. It seems that you think you are a step above being a user and have the right to police what ever I say. I have blown it out of proportion? You might wanna revisit that. Anyhow, enough of your ruining this thread.

Patzel, you may have noticed that sometimes a thread can be hijacked for anothers means, for this I apologise.

It is good that there is to be a farmers market in Aith, perhaps I may see you there.

Any thing constructive?

Lies, spam and misinformation are, I believe, extremely destructive. Accordingly, highlighting such material is an entirely constructive activity.

So, I clarified my location. I have not LIED as you accuse.

No. You changed your location and then stated that the changed location was what had been visible at the time of the post. By any standards that is a lie.

It seems that you think you are a step above being a user and have the right to police what ever I say.

We all have the right to challenge other statements. Call it policing if you want, but it is an essential aspect of rational debate.

I have blown it out of proportion? You might wanna revisit that.

Eh? I said no such thing, so what is there for me to revisit?

Anyhow, enough of your ruining this thread.

Given that you consider I am not permitted to police your lies, it is interesting that you are relaxed about your righteousness in decreeing that I am ruining the thread. If you don't want to have your lies highlighted, the best solution must surely be not to lie in the first place.

may I suggest that to fill in the location could be a must for everyone?

Some German forums do have this rule and I think it's a good one... at least locations like "at home" or "in the desert" or "on top of the dungheap" can be avoided this way.

Back to the topic: I won't be in Shetland on October 3rd, but a week later... if there's also a market somewhere I would like to go there.

Does anybody know?

paulb

yup its always been clear that shetlandpeat is in the preston area.

Yup but which one? There are 13 Preston' in England (Yes I know it's Lancashire) But.............

:)

I used to be a postie and it could be a nightmare when folk didn't use the post code.

Preston Dorset

Preston Dorset

Preston Gloucestershire

Preston Gloucestershire

Preston Kent

Preston Kent

Preston Lancashire

Preston Northumberland

Preston Northumberland

Preston Rutland

Preston Sussex

Preston Staffordshire

Preston Yorkshire (East R)

There is to be a farmers market in Aith hall 3rd October, see here.

ok showing regional biased. your quite right there is more than one.

also I am literally spoken sitting on a dungheap just now... our village is getting a main sewer system, there is no road today, just a path between huge diggers... so no way to get the horses to the pasture... no way to reach our dungheap which is on my neighbour's property (we share the dungheap like other people share cars :wink: )

hopefully tomorrow morning there is no way out of the village with the car so I might not have to go to work

more back to topic:

is it possible to buy raw milk at the farmers markets or privately of farmers? After many years of drinking raw milk (as it comes from the cow) I wouldn't want to miss this.

My own cow is still producing milk (yes I know that her son is over two years now but there is no sign that he will give up the habit of drinking a sip of milk now and again :oops: ) but to be honest the milk of a mainly hay fed working cow tastes rather insipid so I fetch a bottle of milk every evening from my neighbours dairy cows.

It is not exactly legal for him to sell milk off the yard due to health and safety regulations but for getting permission he would have to alter many things and it costs a lot.

But still it's ok for both of us. He gets paid what I would pay in a shop and I get first class fresh milk (also fat enough for making butter) and do not pay for lorry transport and plastic packaging.

Any chance for raw milk in Shetland or do farmers rather not sell off the yard?

Patzel

Any chance for raw milk in Shetland or do farmers rather not sell off the yard?

Only from your own cow I would think, all milk sold in the UK I believe must be pasteurised.

You can buy unpasteurised milk in some places. Because it hasn't been heat-treated, unpasteurised milk can contain bacteria that could cause food poisoning. Young children, elderly people, pregnant women and people who are ill should avoid unpasteurised milk.

Remember to follow the storage instructions on all types of milk.

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/asksam/healthydiet/milkanddairyq/

It is quite easy to buy unpasturised milk here in Preston, Lancashire, England, UK.

Most dairy farms sell it, cheese made with unpasturised milk is fantastic.

A quick one...

Unpasturised blue cheese melted onto an Eccles cake. Really good.

But any blue/green cheese is nearly as good, gonna try on a Chorley cake.

Both the above are manufactured as their name suggests, both in UK

Eccles Cake

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eccles_cake

Chorley Cake

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chorley_cake

Preston

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preston

It is quite easy to buy unpasturised milk here in Preston, Lancashire, England, UK.

I am sorry, shetlandpeat, but I have asked specifically about the possibilities in Shetland and not Preston.

Yes, and after consuming about 1 litre raw milk daily since 2002 I think I should know about the risks... and I can assure you I am neither elderly nor pregnant...

it might come as a shock to you but over the last centuries people in Bavaria have (and many including me still do it) left raw milk in a flat bowl covered with a plate at room temperature for 2 - 3 days to make "Stöckelmilch" (I believe it's called sour milk in English)... there is nothing more refreshing than this on a hot day.

@Frances144

Don't worry I didn't expect anybody to admit that he sells raw milk if he's not supposed to. Just a simple "yes, there are possibilities" :wink: would do me fine...

your bound to be near a crofter with the odd cow or two. I'm sure that you could come to some arrangement.

i am not sure its ok at the moment with all the bovine TB that's about in the rest of the uk. ok its a very small risk but is it worth it. up here your not at any real risk but if pregnant that would be diffrent.

The reference was that it is not against any law and there is no reason not to sell.

The fact that is is available in a city means the same.

Sorry for any confusion.

There are different ways of preparing food all over the world.

The quote was from a health page.

I am sure that if I posted that you can consume unpasturised milk, someone would have commented about the lack of mentioning the risks as a deliberate omission or some sort of conspiracy . It seems you (well me) have to cover all angles.