Smoking ban creating a mess

Twerto

in relation to This Article.

why are the usualy smoking bins that you used to see outside supermarkets, bolts etc not being used anymore?

we have numerous dog S88t bins about the place.. why not smoking bins next to doors of pubs etc?

I think the Ferry Inn is the only place I've seen installing a smoking bin outside.

As a smoker, I do have a little sympathy here (not sure if I would expect much from non-smokers here though) You cant throw a fag end in a litter bin or put it in your pocket for disposal later. And you cant take it inside to stub it out in an ashtray.

I've not seen any of those personal ashtrays yet, wonder if they're any good?

Due to obvious demand, we have been waiting nearly 2 months for bins to arrive. I'm led to believe they should be here on Friday, so they should be up outside the Thule, Queens, Grand, Posers, Mooney's, North Star and Marlex over the weekend hopefully.

We do have the butt pouches, so please feel free to ask bar staff for them. They are free of charge.

The whole thing is a Scottish Parliament/Council deal, IMHO if they felt they had to enact and enforce this regulation on the population at large, the very least they could also have done, was to have ensured and paid for, long before the fact, the facilities to best allow those affected by their ruling to adhere to it at least reasonably easily and conveniently.

IMHO, it is just one more example, of which there are countless already, of the powers that being crashing headlong and half baked in to some idea, and forcing people to comply with it. Without any serious thought of either how it will operate "on the ground", or provision for it to do so smoothly and effecitively. Which of course, leaves random private individuals in a position of feeling obliged to fill that gap in thought and provision from their own time and at their own expense. Must be nice being a Councillor or MSP, mostly you get away with only doing half the work and bearing half the cost of the work you undertake.

I think most of the problem relates to the fact that the powers at be have been overzealous in their attempts to enforce the ban. Local authorities (on the instruction of central govt) have overestimated the resources required to enforce the smoking ban.

The public has accepted the ban and smokers are going outside to smoke...

That leaves the enforcers with nothing to do but snipe around the edges and moan about fag ends on the pavement or worse. For instance, telling smokers that they can't use the covered area outside the legion is just plain silly.

Why are we inundated with warnings of fines for dropping a fag ends but at the same time others are illegally using chemicals and dumping hazardous waste? I reckon the vast quantities of money wasted on enforcement of the smoking ban would have been better served propping up schemes like the one KIMO runs which tries to clear up marine litter.

Ahh it didnt even occur to em it waht the pubs etc them self that would need to supply the bins.. i just assuemd it woudl be a council thing..

Its up to the pub to provide bins but in part you are right. The Council provide bins all over the place for rubbish and dog turds. In most other areas (sooth) you will find most of the bins have a section for stubbing out fags..... I don't recall seeing any in Shetland (been a while since I had a fag on commercial st :wink: ). So if a smoker has a fag on the street where does he/she stub out his/her fag? If he/she uses a regular bin then surely he risks setting fire to the contents? If they stub out on the street they could be fined £50. Perhaps the SIC could use the revenue from all these fines to provide new bins.....just a thought...

thats a great idea about the bins - they have them outside islesburgh but people still refuse to use them and chuck there butts all over the place - mainly picked up by the janitors there. but when they take in an anti litter warden who will fine people £50 for dumping rubish might sort this problem!?

If you are ever in America and dont want to look stupid bum bags are called fanny packs.

The ironic thing is that anyone wearing a bumbag/fannypack looks absolutely utterly stupid anyway! with or without calling it the wrong name!!

If you are ever in America and dont want to look stupid bum bags are called fanny packs.

The ironic thing is that anyone wearing a bumbag/fannypack looks absolutely utterly stupid anyway! with or without calling it the wrong name!!

Oy, I heard that!!

I have one - it's 12 litre - but I wear it like a handbag!

I heard that The Lounge had to apply for planning permission to mount a fag end bin thing on the wall but permission was not granted. I don't know how much truth is in the story but it sounds quite believeable.

They certainly had one on the wall when I was there a couple of weeks ago.