Helium for Balloons

BigMouth

You probably don't want to hear this, but helium is a non-renewable resource, that is running out, and will probably be gone in 30 years or so.

It is used for things that are more important than balloons (eg MRI scanning equipment), so maybe people should think twice before buying helium balloons (or even helium for balloons).

It may just be the latest scare story (the oil has been running out for as long as I can remember) - but it might just be a valuable resource that is being wasted.

You probably don't want to hear this, but helium is a non-renewable resource, that is running out, and will probably be gone in 30 years or so.

It is used for things that are more important than balloons (eg MRI scanning equipment), so maybe people should think twice before buying helium balloons (or even helium for balloons).

It may just be the latest scare story (the oil has been running out for as long as I can remember) - but it might just be a valuable resource that is being wasted.

You're right. I didn't want to hear it.

It might be rare on Earth but, 20% of all matter in the universe is Helium.

Anyway, how do you know that Bigmouth didn't want it for his MRI scanner.

Ummm... because the title of the post was 'helium for balloons'... :roll:

Cough.. Um.. OK :(

Anyway, I'm pretty happy that there is so little Helium in the atmosphere..

All radioactive metals give off Helium as they decay.

The solar wind removes Helium from the upper atmosphere at almost the same rate (slightly lower) as it is produced and there is about 2 million years worth of it in the air we breathe.

There is enough radioactive metal on Earth to keep this going for a little while yet.

Trapping it in cylinders for use in balloons etc. does not stop this cycle, just slows it down a bit. After all, sooner or later, all Helium will find it's way back into the atmosphere.

Now, if you want to argue about just who gets to use this limited/unlimited resource....

:D

Trapping it in cylinders for use in balloons etc. does not stop this cycle, just slows it down a bit.

I think helium is not recovered from the air, but extracted from natural deposits in the Earth.

http://www.science20.com/news_releases/next_on_the_endangered_list_helium

Because of how the US is privatizing its stock of the gas, prices are artificially low, which is encouraging a pattern of consumption that may leave us without significant supplies of the gas midway through the century.

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2010/07/science-policy-gone-bad-may-mean-the-end-of-earths-helium.ars

But I am open to the possibility that you know more about it than he does.

I don't think so..

Got my information a while back when I read an extract from a creationist article that claimed that the density of He in the atmosphere prooved(?) that the Earth could not be more than 2 million years old.

Just had to do some research..

[i think helium is not recovered from the air, but extracted from natural deposits in the Earth.

Helium can be recovered from air but, it is a very expensive way to do it.

Nearly all commercial recovery is from natural gas reserves.

Because of how the US is privatizing its stock of the gas, prices are artificially low, which is encouraging a pattern of consumption that may leave us without significant supplies of the gas midway through the century.

At which point, I presume, there will be a global collapse in the party balloon market.. :lol:

• 3 months later...