kale soup

Dratsy

Don't know about kale soup but my mother used to boil the neck belly and rig bones of a lamb with tatties, onion, sometimes a carrot, plenty of salt and pepper. This would be boiled for a couple of hours then a kale heart was cut in half and pushed down in on the top for maybe half an hour more. This was a good hearty soup / stew. The kale soaked up the lamb fat so it was really rich and definitely my favourite bit :D :D :D

Don't know about kale soup but my mother used to boil the neck belly and rig bones of a lamb with tatties, onion, sometimes a carrot, plenty of salt and pepper. This would be boiled for a couple of hours then a kale heart was cut in half and pushed down in on the top for maybe half an hour more. This was a good hearty soup / stew. The kale soaked up the lamb fat so it was really rich and definitely my favourite bit :D :D :D

Roughly the same thing, but using salt mutton.

Once everything is cooked, remove the meat and most of the liquid, then mash all the vegetables together.

Serve the mash with the meat.

Then drink plenty of water to overcome the thirst caused by the salt mutton. (or beer if you prefer).

If there is any of the kale mash left over, put it in a dish and heat in the oven the next day as a side dish with whatever is on the menu. Brilliant!!!

Standard warning with any dish involving Shetland kale:

Methane gas produced, from the human intestinal tract, due to the consumption of Shetland kale, can seriously damage the ozone layer.

It can also reduce the number of friends you have. Unless they're just on facebook where nasal perception isn't a problem. :wink: :lol:

Standard warning with any dish involving Shetland kale:

Methane gas produced, from the human intestinal tract, due to the consumption of Shetland kale, can seriously damage the ozone layer.

It can also reduce the number of friends you have. Unless they're just on facebook where nasal perception isn't a problem. :wink: :lol:

Send teh kale eater to the Shetland Exhaust & Tyre Centre. And have a Catalytic Converter fitted

• 1 month later...

Pretty much identical to my how wir folk made Kale soup too, though the Kale was opened up more in wir case.

Kale soup wis usually made off the neck bones, and as there wasnt much meat to be had, it was usually served on its own, with tattie soup being pretty much the same but made off hips or shoulders so served with the reestit mutton.

One thing thats essential is fresh vegitables and avoidance of all fancy modern garnishes. You need nothing more than water, a neck bone, some carrots, neep, totties and kale.