eczema on hardworking hands

MrsDoyle

Guest CyprusPluto

Use to have a big problem with eczema on my hands when I was younger. HC45 cream is very good - it's a mild hydrocortisone and can be bought over the counter at Chemists. The Pharmacist is also likely to advise you of other products if they think that won't work.

Failing that and the need for a stronger hydrocortisone, it's a trip to your doctors for a prescription.

Fairy Liquid and Cif make my hands bleed- I have found the best thing for soothing and helping heal is Bodyshop African Spa Honey Nut Butter.

A friend with psoriasis uses Bodyshop Hemp cream, as do some other folk I know who garden / do manual work outside.

If you get painful hacks on your fingertips - my old aunt swore by 'Lassers Paste'- they don't make it under that name now, but if you ask a chemist to order you in a tub of Zinc and Salycilic Acid paste - it fills in the cracks like Polyfilla, soothes the pain and really does help them heal quicker.

i had psoraisis on legs and some on arms had it for a long time (still do just not visible) found that whenever on holiday the saltwater would make it disapper, and after recent croatia holiday its all gone again!!

going to try and make saltwater in the bath mabye once every 14days see if it keeps it away!

sorry no help for ezemma tho

Thanks people for all your replies. There were quite a few remedies suggested that I had not come across before but hopefully I'll meet with success before having to try them out!! Shetlandpeat and Njugle - site references were most informative - thanks for that. For the moment, I'm going with GypsyScy's Nelsons Cream since it is a bit more accessible than neem leaves, garra rufa fish, or sunbathing. Cheers everybody.

try avoiding any soap, shampoo, washing powder/washing up liquid with Sodium Lauryl Sulphate , it is an industrial degreasant...

from http:// http://www.health-report.co.uk/sodium_lauryl_sulphate.html ...

Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS) is a very common chemical found in shampoos, hair conditioners, toothpaste, body washes bubble baths etc.

Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS) is also a strong and harsh detergent used in industry as a degreaser and a powerful wetting and foaming agent. Individuals and companies promoting cosmetic and personal care products that are free of Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS) have had a lot of mileage out of bad publicity SLS has received over the last few years. What are the facts?

Google it too... lots of info out there :)

p.s. try not to scratch ... and whatever you do, don't cover with an "airtight" covering - like a sticky plaster

• 4 months later...

I've got pustular/plantar psoriasis on my hands and feet, plus nail psoriasis. Oatmeal packs help, as do mud packs. The soap I try to get is the Dead Sea soap. A sun lamp will also help (Something to do with the Vit D from the sun reacting with your skin) and you can get light therapy at the hospital.

Avoid standard washing up liquids/washing powders. Fairy Liquid Non-Bio washing powder is okay and Ecover for washing up. I've found Neutrogena handcream to be the best. Calendula cream (Get it in Boots by Nelsons) is soothing.

Tea tree oil tends to be too harsh for psoriasis and ezcema.

Diet - avoid wheat and dairy products.

Try Epaderm Emollient

for Eczema, Psoriasis and other dry skin conditions.

(Epaderm is a pale yellow ointment containing two active ingredients, Emulsifying Wax and Yellow Soft Paraffin. It also contains Liquid Paraffin. Epaderm’s unique formulation contains no fragrances, colourings or additives. The emulsifying wax in Epaderm does contain sodium lauryl sulphate. Epaderm provides a film barrier which aids moisture retention within the skin. It is highly versatile – Epader can be used on the skin, in the bath or as a skin cleanser. It therefore offers the three stages of atopic eczema treatment, as suggested for complete emollient therapy.

Developed by doctors at the Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne specifically for eczema sufferers, Epaderm can be used on a wide range of dry skin conditions and is ideal for use in wrapping.)