Police Disappointed

Colin

Would Police time not be better spent trying to catch real criminals- like Heroin dealers, thieves, vandals etc?

But of course, that doesn't increase revenue for the Corporation ;)

What a poor attitude to have!

I would rather they be treating the heroin issue in shetland but at the same time the saftey of our children is another issue they are dealing with.

I would rather know that when my child comes out from school that the drivers going past arent blasting up the hill possibly putting the children at risk.

At the end of the day a crime is a crime and if it happens right infront of the police then damn right they should deal with it.

As I read it the Police said they were disappointed to catch anyone I am sure that they would rather people drove with care outside schools.

Well, at least you read it.

From personal experience, the patrol car hidden just up the hill from the school entrance has made a considerable difference to the speed of most motorists.

What it hasn't done is improve the driving standards with respect to other road users.

Speed isn't the only problem.

....From personal experience, the patrol car hidden just up the hill from the school entrance has made a considerable difference to the speed of most motorists....

That's where they go wrong. The cop car should not be hidden, it should be parked up some place where you would have to be blind to not see it.

Only a complete fool would consider speeding when there is a highly visable cop car parked up.

When the Police try to hide their car it looks like they are trying to catch speeders to boost their solved crimes quota and raise some money for the xmas party* rather than deter speeding.

*I know the money dosen't go to the cops xmas party before someone points this out, just used this as a figure of speech.

....From personal experience, the patrol car hidden just up the hill from the school entrance has made a considerable difference to the speed of most motorists....

That's where they go wrong. The cop car should not be hidden, it should be parked up some place where you would have to be blind to not see it.

Only a complete fool would consider speeding when there is a highly visable cop car parked up.

When the Police try to hide their car it looks like they are trying to catch speeders to boost their solved crimes quota and raise some money for the xmas party* rather than deter speeding.

*I know the money dosen't go to the cops xmas party before someone points this out, just used this as a figure of speech.

Well if it was visable, then everyone would slow down, JUST because the police was there and not because of the kids coming out of school.

If people couldnt see the police car then they would just carry on their normal habits and the police could catch people doing their blatant speed through a controlled spped zone!

Well if it was visable, then everyone would slow down

Total success!

I actually like those LED signs that give you a smiley face or "thank you" after telling you your speed, or alternatively a the flashing "slow down" message, apparently, though I've never seen that one. The do the job in a highly effective, rewarding, non-obtrusive way. Aberdeenshire Council seems to favour them, and elsewhere on the mainland. :thmbsup

[meglomaniac mode] When I become President of Shetland we will have these installed every 50 metres on all roads, wired to fixed speed cameras which trips out the next set ahead of the vehicle to rise when it is detected doing 0.1 mph over the posted limit.

The accident recovery businesses and bodyshops will do booming business, so I'll levy at least 50% income tax on them, it'll be a goldmine and speeding "problem" solved. :twisted:

[/meglomaniac mode] :wink:

^^ Hasn't that always been their form. Drunk and incapables....excuse me, one of yer number plate lights are oot......yer number plate's too stoory tae read..... :roll:

Well you're not far off the mark there Ghostrider re the stoory plates, heard of an incident the other day where a young driver was followed into a one way street by a police car with blue light flashing. The car driver was asked to get out and then asked if he/she knew why he/she had been stopped. The car driver answered " no " then was asked to look at a number plate on a nearby vehicle and asked to " spot the differance ".

Wait for it :- The letters on the number plate of the pulled in drivers car were " squint " !!!!

and wirna both police officers really prood efter yun !

^^ Hasn't that always been their form. Drunk and incapables....excuse me, one of yer number plate lights are oot......yer number plate's too stoory tae read..... :roll:

Well you're not far off the mark there Ghostrider re the stoory plates, heard of an incident the other day where a young driver was followed into a one way street by a police car with blue light flashing. The car driver was asked to get out and then asked if he/she knew why he/she had been stopped. The car driver answered " no " then was asked to look at a number plate on a nearby vehicle and asked to " spot the differance ".

Wait for it :- The letters on the number plate of the pulled in drivers car were " squint " !!!!

and wirna both police officers really prood efter yun !

Not just me that hates it as well then! I canna stand the "racer" image number plates, in weird colours, weird sizes, weird fonts etc. Yes its illegal, they are regulated for a reason. He/She should be lucky they didnt get a ticket for it, i have seen many young drivers in at the garage getting them changed before heading back to the polis to inspect them and sign the ticket off.

^^ If the height of your worries are the size and fonts of other folks number plates, you really have an easy life.

I'd be more worried about the lax character use by the licensing authority in the present numbering system. When alphabetical characters were first introduced in 1963 "I", "O", "Q" and "Z" weren't used. Notwithstanding that "S" should probably have been left out as well, instead of improving the system when the current regime was introduced, they put "Q" back in, and left "1" and "0" (zero) in use.

It didn't seem to make so much difference to mistaking characters with the previous 3/3/1 or 1/3/3 plate formats, but with the current 2/2/3 sequence, confusing "O" and "0", "1" and "I" and "S" for "5" is far worse. Leaving aside that remembering random sequences of letters is far more difficult that remembering random numbers anyway.