Whalsay Ferry

Vicky

So they've cut the numbers allowed on the ferry, but given us no information whatsoever.

Only 50 are allowed, does this include people in cars, or is it only foot passengers? Will I have to book my place as a foot passenger on a busy day, or will it just be a race to see who gets on first and we leave the rest at Laxo? And if I do have to book my place, anyone know the secret trick to actually get the booking line to answer? I've tried calling for a few days with no luck.

I know they said that figures rarely exceeded 50, but I don't think they've taken into consideration the fact that a lot of the people from the Whalsay Factory are now commuting out.

Anyone who knows anything about this, info would be much appreciated.

the ferry is not upto the mca standards anymore with regards to accomadaton below sea level if i mind right there was a skipper or ex skipper who was writing about this in the paper during the tunnel, new terminal carry on, so we did know it was going to happen. mabye if the good ppl of whalsay / council could have come to a desicion on that sooner it would be at the planning stages.

time for another new ferry? more expenditure which means cuts elsewhere? whalsay school?

someone else will know a bit more on this.

The reason for the cut in passengers has nothing to do with the accommodation below deck. The problem is the size of the aft thruster compartment. If the hull was to get damaged in this area and fill with water with free surface effect the boat would struggle to comply with the required regulations. So they are having to construct two tanks aft on the deck area to meet the requirements.

As far as who has the right to travel it has always been the same anyone/vehicle that is booked will get priority. Up to now it has only been at rowing regatta's ect that this problem has occured. With the numbers being down to 50 i guess we might see it happening a bit more. So i guess even if your travelling on foot best idea would be to book as a foot passenger or if you have 2,3,4 passengers in your car to book them as well.

There is a email address you can make ferry bookings through personally I'm never used it but it's suppose to work good.

this is just another complete disaster by sellaness, the linga has been a waste of money just exactly the same as the yell sound ferrys, everything about them is over the top and with more money spent on fancy electronics that are not needed on the short runs they do, absoulte joke, this is where the shetland money is being wasted and needs a big shake up!!!!!!!!!