Where can I get pond liner/a large cheap tank of some kind?

Looking for a home for some large goldfish I have acquired, they are far too large for a tank and really need a pond. So does anyone know where I could get pond liner (or what alternative would be suitable?) or a large tank of some kind, eg cold water header tank or something of that kind to create an artificial pond, needs to be large enough not to freeze solid, but small enough to be transportable (have a roughly 6 x 4 ft flatbed trailer).

Any bright ideas?

eta obviously will cover it with a grill of some kind as I don't intend to supply the local gulls etc with a buffet lunch :lol:

Butyl rubber pond liner is the best thing to use - just dig your pond, line it with old carpet (to protect the liner from any stones etc in the ground), then lay your liner (+/- overlay depending on who you listen to). It isn't vastly expensive, but a large pond would be pricey.

You can get it over the internet, eg:

http://www.butylproducts.co.uk/Products-Services/Ponds-Lakes/

http://www.aquatics-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/aquarium_supplies_BUTYL_POND_LINERS_191.html

I'm not sure what their Shetland delivery policies / prices are but they're good places to start from. :)

Thanks. Checked LBC, they no longer seem to stock pondliners, and much as I like goldfish and the idea of a pond I cannot really justify a considerable expense on a couple of goldfish...

Does no-one know where else I might be able to get a large plastic tank (of the kind you see everywhere up here being reused but no-one seems to have going spare at the moment) have tried advertising on here and have been up to the tip following a suggestion - they had one but it has gone now?

Get an old bath someone is wanting rid of, bung the drain and overflow holes and dig a hole its exact size. If the colour is a problem line it with a sheet of black or whatever plastic (I'm assuming plastic won't hurt fish, but maybe best check) and bury the edges around the bath.

The carpet idea is good short term, but If you are wanting more long term, we did ours with soft sand.

Once you have the required depth and shape, you need to have a shallow and deep part, and a shelf if you want plants.

Remove all sharp objects and stones and shape bottom and sides with a few inches of sand. Remember to pack the sand very very well.

lay liner as best you can minimising folds and let the heavens fill it up, keep an eye on it as this happens and adjust as required.

You can use tap water but this can promote alga growth. We collected rain water from our water butts.

Watch levels for a while. When happy and liner has settled build up edges, and stock.

Or get a bath or cold water storage tank. Keep in mind that every litre of water weighs 1kg.

I am sure someone will check this for me and approve or not, some folk seem to have little else to do.

Got my liner on line but blowed if I can remember which company it came from now as it’s been three years. Went for a tripple ply plastic option as it was cheaper & lighter but time will tell if its lifetime guarantee is worth anything. The Planty Crub will order it for you as well though. As we have a community skip very close to the house I had a ready supply of old carpet to line the hole with. Laid them three thick as I would have to pick the one spot in the garden to dig a pond that some previous owner had used as their rubbish tip...loads of nails & nastys in the soil. Did my best but sure there are still some lurking under there. Would definately recomend getting dichlorinator as well, unless you are really organised & save all your rain water to top up your pond in the summer you are eventualy going to have to top it up with tap water & chlorine isnt good for pond life. If you are going to put in plants would recomend www.bromfieldaquatics.co.uk for good value healthy plants.

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b434/shetlandmomo/argh/P1000367.jpg

Keep in mind that every litre of water weighs 1kg.

I am sure someone will check this for me and approve or not, some folk seem to have little else to do.

Okay, seeing as you asked. :wink: I'm on a 5 min smoko, then I do have other things to do, so it'll be short.

1 Gallon = 10 Lbs. Some of us still default to imperial thinking. :wink:

Or get a bath or cold water storage tank. Keep in mind that every litre of water weighs 1kg.

Only if it is pure water at 4 degrees Celsius.

Didn't have to check this though, one of the useless facts from school that is still loitering inside my head for some reason.

Also having a quick smoke break before getting back to work, so I do have something else to do. :wink: