Scam Phone Calls?

owre-weel

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Weel dir at it again!!!

Got a call today from an asian sounding person with poor english. He mumbled who he was and the company, which I couldn't make out, then he said, quite clearly,"a member of your family has been involved in a serious accident" when I said "who" He then said "can I tell him if any of my family had been in an accident in the last two weeks. After I scorned him on how he has shocked me with what he said, he hung up !

I dred to think how this type of call could affect an elderly person, so best warn relatives

Not one but two international calls this afternoon. The first was from 'widows support group' and the second an hour later from 'global computer company'. Both wanted access to my computer to check for virus's. Rather than get annoyed I just keep interupting there flow and ask silly questions then, say 'no thanks' and hang up.

These type of calls seem to be increasing and because they are international, there dosn't seem to be anyway of stopping them.

I had a call from somebody English spoken claiming to be from Sky tv the other day. He said my warranty was about to expire and I needed to renew it. When I started to quiz him on what is was about, as our Sky boxes are all about 5 years old he put the phone down on me. This is a first for me. Usually the Indian callers never give up. I can get them to argue with me for as long as I can be bothered to keep it up.

I had them ring yesterday,I kept them on the phone for 25 mins...including changing the baby` nappy...and the baby"accidentally"grabbing the phone to talk.

that may have been a couple of calls that operator couldn`t make to someone more vulnerable.

We had the same calls,a couple of months ago too...still it keeps me amused!

I got another of those calls today, I held the caller on for a massive 45 minutes before saying "Oh I'm going to be late for the doctors, can you call my other half on the office number?" (I told him the office was linked to the home pc). I then gave him the telephone number to the Lerwick police station.

Boy would I love to be able to listen in on that conversation

I had a friend who had gone to College as a mature student.

{I say "had", as she very sadly passed away this year}

After having her hopes built up unrealistically, The only job she could get after, was in a local Call Centre.

I know just how abysmally the employees there were treated...

I feel sorry for people who have to earn a living / feed their families through TeleSales, or working in Call Centres.

I am not saying that not all of these 'Cold Sellers" don't know what they have gotten involved in, but it might just be, that for some of them, they have no idea what their role really is, and it's maybe the only job available to keep the wolves from the door?

I just tell them I think it's a scam and say goodbye. Politely.

Well said mogling. I always try to say no politely at first. However persistent offenders are liable to be told to "go forth and multiply" or even something more rude. One day I will sit down and write a little speech to keep by the phone so I can tell these people to go away very rudely but without using a rude word.

I worked very briefly for a market research firm in Lithuania. The pay was 80p per hour (about three or four years ago) with a £1 bonus for completed questionnaires (the questionnaires lasted about 45 minutes).

The London based company I was working for, was selling this information to two very well known international companies, for, I suspect colossal profit whilst the workers at the desks were putting in ridiculous hours just to make a liveable wage. The majority of the workers were students trying to make ends meet and I always bear this in mind when I receive such calls. Time is quite literally money, so rather than stringing the callers along, I politely let them know I am not interested.

My better half has been off work sick since Monday .

He had umpteen International phone calls . Luckily we have caller display .

Today he noted down each one from he was woken at 8am .Till 20 past five tonight 23 !!! We are registered with telephone preference system ( I think thats what its called ) And they say they cant intercept International calls .

Can anyone tell me any different ? Apart from screaming down the phone !