Volunteer Required

Kavi Ugl

Hello Shetlinkers:)

A few weeks ago I was approached and asked if I would do a little online "sound recording" for some Faroese people who are researching Shetland's old norn language.

In particular they are trying to get a recording of the Shetland vowel sounds but sadly the truth is I'm just not broad enough spoken for it. My other problem is that I'm a dunce with computers, as simple as it probably is :?

Do you have a "better" Shetland voice than me and would you be willing to help?. All it involves is reading a piece of Shetland dialect and they are more than willing to buy the small microphone for you to use if you don't have one. It would also be totally annonymous because all they're looking for is some Shetland vowel sounds.

If you feel you'd like to help please drop me a pm and I'll give you the details.

Thanks very much.

Kavi Ugl :D

Depends what bit of Shetland there after...you'll find different vowels in different districts, e.g. the way that 'ah' turns into 'eh' in Burra. And as for 'ö'...Think of the word 'dö' as in 'whit's du gyaan ta dö?', then think of the same sentence said in Hillswick, Sandwick, Unst, Foula, Whalsay and so on. Good luck to your Faroese friends in their search for the definititve Shetland vowels.

Depends what bit of Shetland there after...you'll find different vowels in different districts, e.g. the way that 'ah' turns into 'eh' in Burra. And as for 'ö'...Think of the word 'dö' as in 'whit's du gyaan ta dö?', then think of the same sentence said in Hillswick, Sandwick, Unst, Foula, Whalsay and so on. Good luck to your Faroese friends in their search for the definititve Shetland vowels.

This is the salient point. Your Faroese friends, Kavi, since they speak a language, will be blissfully unaware of the fact that in Shetland we speak 'dialect' which is, by definition and choice of the Shetland people, an entity which must remain undefined and undefinable.