Children found working in field

mate64

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-11615766

I spent mony an oor is a bairn wirkin in a field. Pickin tautties, singlin neeps, flittin a yow, turnin hey, etc. Settin up stooks in da munlicht wis gret. But cole-lin (how do you spell da present participle of to cole ?) da ryegress wis da hardest wark. We thanked God fur Sundays.

I dunna mind me fedder checkin ower his shudder fur da police.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-11615766

I spent mony an oor is a bairn wirkin in a field. Pickin tautties, singlin neeps, flittin a yow, turnin hey, etc. Settin up stooks in da munlicht wis gret. But cole-lin (how do you spell da present participle of to cole ?) da ryegress wis da hardest wark. We thanked God fur Sundays.

I dunna mind me fedder checkin ower his shudder fur da police.

Yep, let's hope that the "jobsworth" quoted in the article is one of the first public servants to lose her job in the forthcoming cuts. Out of touch with reality or what?

I think there's a pretty large difference between helping your family out on the croft and having to work on an industrial farm from the age of nine. Other news reports on the story explain that they were being forced to work from 7.30am until dusk, without food or water, and since this was on a Wednesday, they were obviously not being allowed to go to school. That kind of thing was made illegal a long time ago, and some of the papers understandably describe it as 'slavery'. Unless you're suggesting that Romanian children don't need the same kind of protection. In which case you might need to justify your argument a bit better.

^ ^ ^

Romanian families might NEED that income.Either that or starve.

Quite right the Romanian trade in children is one of the few things holding up the black ecconomy in Romania. Obviously these children have it coushie, they could be on the european capital's streets as pickpockets or locked away as sex workers. It's perfectly okay to treat children as livestock, they're not wanted in Romania so why should we care about them here?

Where are the usual rants about illegal workers stealing "OUR" jobs?

mainly because no one in this country wants to spend their days picking spring onions.

its totally wrong for them to be working but if both their parents were in the field maybe safer for them to be there than left on their own.

is the farmer getting done i hope so employing kids and not using a legal gang master. makes you think about what goes into your salad.

Is it not the school holidays? I very much doubt they can afford child minders on what will no doubt be a pittiful wage so why not take them to the farm and let them earn some pocket money. As to reports of no food or drink, might just be sensationalism you know. To the english they might have appeared under dressed for the weather but is it not -30C in Romanian winters, so it may not have seemed that cold to them.

The facts according to the Dailymail...I wouldn't trust them :roll:

And perhaps if we had our british bairns out working in the fields they wouldn't grow up thinking money is so easy come by!

I'm so sorry I'll avoid the gaurdian and give you an independant on sunday one, believe they "broke" the story.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/the-new-slaves-children-forced-to-work-as-farm-labourers-2115115.html

They were brought to the field in the back of a box van, with no food or water for the day. Six of the children have been taken into local authority care. Some were working alongside parents, but others appeared to have been brought to the farm on their own.

The actress Juliet Stevenson is one of many leading figures supporting the IoS's campaign for an end to modern slavery and human trafficking, describing them as "the worst manifestation of human cruelty".

The actress said: "If it doesn't concern people that someone can be hijacked, kidnapped and manipulated away from their homes and families into horrendous situations that are at best hardship and at worst physical and mental brutality, then what does concern people?"

Stevenson said victims of trafficking who managed to escape their tormenters in Britain often have to go through a second ordeal at the hands of immigration authorities. "If you're not discovered you have to endure ongoing hell, but if you are discovered and thrown into an increasingly ruthless and unjust asylum system then you're also damned."

"Human trafficking represents just about the worst manifestation of human cruelty. If you're talking about the 'great' in Great Britain, let's look at having some moral leadership."

To be honest It matters not a jot which rag you quote. I trust none as they are all about selling papers above all else.

It may be true but It's no wonder this stuff goes on when people in this country wont pay enough for their food to pay decent wages that some of the greedy workshy Brits might get off their butts to go out and work for :roll:

mainly because no one in this country wants to spend their days picking spring onions.

I think it's the poor pay that's the issue: I'd gladly take a job picking spring onions if they promised to double my current salary.

im sure they would love to. only problem is the bunch of spring onions would cost a lot more than anyone would pay. lets face it they will have lots of brits picking the veg if the condems get there way.