Cost to heat and power your house ?

Guest SJP17

Guest Anonymous

you get about 76% efficiancy from a multi fuel stove and about 20%+/- from an open fire. I got john willum halcrow to dig out the wall and build a new fire place for me. we saved enough in fuel bills in the first 6 months to cover the cost of the stove and the instalation.

as for blow back speak to the folk at hays they sell a variety of caps for the lum, a rather ugly square thing seems to work best for us whatever eart the wind is from.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sometimes it might not be a bad idea to have a look what they do in other countries... (Austria, Bavaria, Eastern Europe...)

In our old farmhouse there were just some electric radiators and electricity bills were almost the level some of you pay.

There are many different types of kachelofens (the type you have to choose depends on whether you can use wood or coal or pellets etc.).

Ours can be fired with wood (dried cowdung and peat are also possible but no coal) and heats the place so warm that you open the livingroom door deliberately to let the heat escape into the other rooms.

If it's not below -10° it's sometimes sufficient to get it going every second day.

Electricity bill now is not even half of what it was before.

Hope the pic is not too big... (if someone can make it smaller - much appreciated)

(***Mod Edit - Consider it done - Imgshack gives you the option to resize when you upload***)

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/5180/006ls.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

We're paying £130 a month for Storage heaters and their wanting more because it's not covering what we're using, we have 2 large and 1 medium and their all on full this last week due to cold conditions and the house is freezing at night. when we get up in the morning we have to put on your gas heater to warm the house.

The house would you belive as just had new insulation in the loft and new storage heaters and belongs to the council,

Scottish Hydro said that i was using £160 per month.,

and after doing a calculation over 12 months it came to £88.63 per month...

I calculate the bill at end of every month to pay them what i use by standing order, there is no way in hell i will be listening to SSE again.

They owe me £420 (as i have over paid them last year based on what they said) and SSE have refused to give me my money back. I have taken this up with the Energy Ombudsman..

I have an electricity reader if anyone would like to borrow it for a few weeks.

This thread has made me a bit :shock: as this is our first winter in Shetland. We have a 2 bed cottage (well insulated) I'm running a rayburn and 2 storage heaters, I'm now thinking OMG! Mind you, we moved here from a very large 'cold' Victorian house in North Wales so the cottage is absolute bliss :D I may pass out when the first bill arrives!

Great Thread!

Just attempted to swap from Scottish Hydro to Scottish Power as my supplier. (key method) Scottish Hydro objected and refused the change of supplier !!! Anyone else had this problem and can Scottish hydro realistically do this ? Just thought I would check before getting on the phone and tearing a strip off some poor Scottish Power operative !!!!

Just attempted to swap from Scottish Hydro to Scottish Power as my supplier. (key method) Scottish Hydro objected and refused the change of supplier !!! Anyone else had this problem and can Scottish hydro realistically do this ? Just thought I would check before getting on the phone and tearing a strip off some poor Scottish Power operative !!!!

They may be able to object if you owe them money and your key meter is programmed to recover a certain proportion of your debt. Until the debt is clear then you wouldn't be able to transfer suppliers.

The above is the only reason I can think of.

Just moved into the house so we owe Scottish Hydro nothing. We transfered from our last adress as the rate with them was really good and one of the cheapest around. Just thought I would see if anyone else had been faced with this problem before I tongue lash Scottish hydro !!!!!

I have recently gutted out our 3 storey stone built house and fitted 75mm kingspan. Huge difference to how long the rooms stay warm after the district heating goes off. Its also a more comfortable environment to stay in.

I also found the new double glazing units have a 3 degree surface temp difference over the older ones.

Its not location,location,location.

Its insulation,insulation,insulation thats the future and will keep your bills down.