Chief Executive Alistair Buchan starts blog

jz

^^ Will he read it though (the feedback), and if he does, will he at least consider what its saying?!?

Okay, I admit I'm not being entirely fair with that question, but for a very long time the we've had to put up with an "we know what we're talking about, and you don't/can't understand, so we won't take you seriously" attitude among certain factions of the SIC hierachy. There's certainly barely minimal suggestion that that may change among the elected hierachy who are guilty of it, but if Buchan operates different in that respect, it can only be good all round.

The crucial question though is, even if Buchan is serious about solicting views from the public and factoring them in to future considerations, what realistic chance does he have of twisting the elected hierachy's arm behind their back and making them do likewise.

I think it's a very brave move for him to start a public blog and one that has gained him a certain amount of admiration from me.

I am sure that he has stumbled across/heard of Shetlink before and will be fully aware of the scathing attacks that can take place on an anonymous forum.

His first post questions what the SIC can do to cutback and save some money. It is about time that somebody openly asked that question and hopefully he will take any reasonable suggestions on board.

I for one used to get incredibly irritated any time that the SIC sent me anything in the post, whether it be responses to job postings or something more mundane, it always came on thick bonded gsm paper. If all the offices used cheap recycled 80gsm paper like the rest of us then it would surely cut back quite a bit on the stationary budget.

I have mentioned the previous point on a couple of other threads already. Perhaps it is time they implemented it?

^^....and printed them out in monochrome. What is the point of printing out routine letters using colour cartridges when the only coloured bits are in the letterhead. Printing on both sides of the sheet would be no bad plan either.

The whole "effect" I assume they're trying to create by using "good" paper and fancy printers and ink, is rather lost too when the letter arrives in a basic bog standard Viking Direct or similar cheapo envelope.

Yup, downgrade the paper and ink to be equivalent with the envelope gets my vote.

The crucial question though is, even if Buchan is serious about solicting views from the public and factoring them in to future considerations, what realistic chance does he have of twisting the elected hierachy's arm behind their back and making them do likewise.

Maybe the asking for, and collecting of, public feedback is what he plans to use to twist their arms..

I hope so.

^^ Well, the best of luck to him, as he may well need it to get the message through to the inside of the bubble, some elements of the council seem to exist within.

Feedback of a sort hasn't been totally lacking now for some time, even if its only been folk getting so fed up and irritated by how things have been going, that they feel they have to shout about it. Yet the only change has been to the worse.

I don't envy him his job, but its got to be done, there's the fallout from getting close on a decade's worth of accumulated bad habits, inertia and chaos to be thrown out of that Town Hall, one way or another.

^^ Well, the best of luck to him, as he may well need it to get the message through to the inside of the bubble, some elements of the council seem to exist within.

Feedback of a sort hasn't been totally lacking now for some time, even if its only been folk getting so fed up and irritated by how things have been going, that they feel they have to shout about it. Yet the only change has been to the worse.

I don't envy him his job, but its got to be done, there's the fallout from getting close on a decade's worth of accumulated bad habits, inertia and chaos to be thrown out of that Town Hall, one way or another.

The first Earl of Orkney who tried to lord it over Shetland lost his head. As you say ghostrider - best of luck this time.

Bit strange that he states in the first entry that it's a blog primarily for SIC staff, yet it's open to the public which means it's open for comments from members of the public...which can be both a good and bad thing.

I think it's a great idea though. The CE of the company I work for keeps a regular blog to keep staff up to date with what he is doing, and he tries to respond to as much of the feedback as possibly. Although it's completely internal and hosted on the company intranet.

Bit strange that he states in the first entry that it's a blog primarily for SIC staff, yet it's open to the public which means it's open for comments from members of the public...which can be both a good and bad thing.

I think it's a great idea though. The CE of the company I work for keeps a regular blog to keep staff up to date with what he is doing, and he tries to respond to as much of the feedback as possibly. Although it's completely internal and hosted on the company intranet.

I tried to post my lighthearted historical note about the Earl of Orkney, but the moderators removed it. Fair enough. However, the CE then went on to raise it himself as he chose. This tells us the site is being censored to be used to suit the CE's own objectives. Maybe that is why there are so few posts despite 1000 hits.

Also, if he wants his staff to use it, it is niaive to think they will do so without anonymity. His staff from his deputy down are sacred for their jobs. They aren't being kept in the loop of what he is doing. And in a public meeting recently he allowed members to attack an officer without making any comment. Gussie Angus could maybe arrange some confidential feedback though.

• 3 weeks later...
The interim CE has started a weekly blog at

http://shetlandchiefexecutivesblog.wordpress.com/

He is keen for feedback.

Not that keen for feedback - he's started ignoring poor Les, and this week couldn't be bothered blogging at all. I hear on the grapevine that Tom has been too busy writing the Oor Wullie Annual to have time to write the blog. Oor Ali went nuts when he thought it was a book about his Assistant Chief Executive. He has now instructed Tom boy to write a new SIC booklet called He's Oor Chief, Your Chief, He's Aabody's Chief - Oor Ali. Tomboy eventually agreed after making clear he wouldn't be doing a following up - Da Buchans.

(Oh - I hear he is lobbying hard for a new All Scotland Coastguard based at Kirkwall, with oors being turned into an AHS annex)

Orkney Roles OK!

• 4 months later...