Covert online "snooping"!

Ghostrider

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering the same thing about a month ago.

http://www.shetlink.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10871

I put an end to it by selectively deleting all cookies relating to the site being advertised in the side bar, that were already on my computer. Whether it was just coincidence that the ads run on the banner here, and on one or two other sites, coincided with my visit to that site, and the products I'd viewed, and my deleting the cookies just happened to coincide with them run their course anyway, who knows. But its an awful lot just to write off as all coincidence. Its not happened again though, so only the agency handling those specific series of ads probably know for sure either way.

And if you think targeted ads only exist on your desktop... think again / differently :wink: iPhone and Android have also been in the poop for apps (yup, Angry Birds is in there) transmitting user details to 3rd party advertisers without user consent. Apple are deeper in the do-do with 2 shiny new law suits. Thankfully some platforms are open enough that installing ad blocking is a breeze.

^^ Am I going to have to run that though after every time I visit any site like Viking, who seem to have the capability of reading cookies already on my computer with ads they have on other wholly unconnected sites? I'm assuming re-visiting and collecting a fresh batch of cookies will just restart it again.

Okay, with the likes of Viking it would be no big deal, I only visit there occasionally. But if the habit spreads to other sites, there are a few that I'm on so often that I'd be collecting quicker than I could delete them most days.

Use flashblock for firefox. Ad-aware too.

Personally, I'm not a fan of ad blocking software as many, if not most websites are kept afloat through the revenue generated through advertising. Please be aware that the adverts shown here are the only way Shetlink generates regular revenue - this website doesn't receive grants, external funding or suchlike and you're not charged for using any of the services provided. However, hosting space, bandwidth, software licenses and upgrades etc etc all cost real money! And bear in mind that the moderators are volunteers

If you value Shetlink, want the services to remain free and wish the website to be regularly maintained, upgraded and improved, you should consider the impact of using ad blockers :wink:

Having a few ads are, in my opinion, a small but worthwhile sacrifice unless folk want to contribute directly to Shetlink's running costs. But if you want to block the ads, that's up to you - everybody wants something for nothing! Or you could make a donation through Paypal using the button on the left (and a sincere thank you to those of you that do) :wink:

Also, some folk who advocate the use of ad blockers have posted ads in Shetlink's free classifieds section - making a bit of cash or procuring a service through Shetlink whilst advocating the deprivation of revenue which keeps the service going may be construed as being a little on the cheeky, and self defeating side

We toyed with the idea of offering a nominal annual subscription that would mean subscribers wouldn't be shown ads - if anyones interested we can look into it again

Regarding the privacy policy - it's part of the Shetlink "Terms & Conditions / Privacy Policy" which includes a section on cookies:

The Shetlink website installs ‘cookies’ on registered users computers. A cookie is a small amount of data, including an anonymous unique identifier sent to your browser and stored on your computer's hard drive to enable functions including forum post indicators and auto login. Shetlink can only send its cookie to your browser if your browser's preferences allow it. To protect your privacy your browser only permits Shetlink to access the cookie it has already sent you, not the cookies sent to you by other sites. For further information on cookies please visit http://www.aboutcookies.org

Shetlink allows third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain information when you visit this website. These third-party companies may use cookies or web beacons to collect non-personally identifiable information during your visit to this website and other websites in order to help show advertisements likely to be more interesting to you. To learn more about this “behavioral advertising” practice or to opt-out of this use of your anonymous information please visit http://www.networkadvertising.org

If you're seeing adverts on Shetlink that reflect content you have viewed on other websites, that is (more than likely) because the websites have placed a "cookie" on your computer which has recorded which pages/products you viewed during your visit. Adverts you then see on other websites which reflect what you have viewed will have read the info from the cookie stored on your computer

Cookies are the way in which Amazon, for example, provide the "Recently Viewed Items" information, or how many shopping carts function, or how websites such as Shetlink knows if you're logged in and which posts you haven't read

As has been mentioned previously, most browsers offer the option to block or approve which websites can place cookies on your computer

I hope that clears a few things up :)

Thank goodness, I finally managed to get back on Shetlink :shock: Following Ghostrider's talk about cookies and what not I started rootling around in my AVG program only to loose my Google toolbar and all my browsing history and I couldn't get signed on because I'd no popups.

How I got back to something resembling the computer I used know I have no idea but here I am and what is the first post I read?

perriebryan's :D I love when somebody gives me a superb argument that opens up my opinions to a completly different point of view. No more complaints from me about the related adverts.

You have got to love facebook - right? They have managed to get near 250 million people to divulge countless personal details, images of themselves, phone numbers, addresses etc. and even managed to get the users to agree to allow facebook to 'own' this information with no recourse.

Unfortunately online snooping will always happen. The only way to avoid this is not to sign up to any of these 'services'. Since you have, it is now too late.

Remember that when you are online you broadcast so much information about yourself. Your location can even be tracked right back to your home. There are a few safeguards you can take;

1. Don't sign up to anything unless you know what it is and read the T&C's

2. Ensure that your anti-virus, firewall and spam filters are up to date

3. Do not download and install any software (including toolbars) unless you know what it is and read the T&C's

4. Clean your computer regularly with a program like CCcleaner

5. Remember that when you are done with your computer it still holds a lot of information about you. Make sure you remove the hard-disc and destroy it by drilling several holes into it. NEVER give away a compute with an intact hard-disk.

If you are using your computer for work or general surfing-type research you may wish to install an annonimity (sp) application like TOR. I worked for a large company that made us use it when researching things so other companies couldn't trace us back to the office. I am told, however, that it isn't full proof.

If you have children, it is likely that they will visit websites that target them and contain spyware. Some kids attempt to cover their tracks by clearing the history etc. which means you may be unaware of what could infect your computer. Many companies try to target this group to have them install 'key loggers' or worms for use against adults. It is therefore important to ensure you have a spyware detector on your computer, and ensure that your kids know the dangers too.

I think the key here is to make sure that you are aware of what information you are giving away, and protect yourself from giving away information you don't want to.

Can anyone tell me if using the private browsing feature helps with this?

By the way if you want to try private browsing here are links showing you how.

Internet Explorer

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/open-ies-private-browsing-mode-the-easy-way/

Firefox

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Private%20Browsing

If you have children, it is likely that they will visit websites that target them and contain spyware. Some kids attempt to cover their tracks by clearing the history etc. which means you may be unaware of what could infect your computer. Many companies try to target this group to have them install 'key loggers' or worms for use against adults. It is therefore important to ensure you have a spyware detector on your computer, and ensure that your kids know the dangers too.

And don't, for all that is holy, let them log on to a PC with privileges to install anything. Give them their own restricted account to log on with. That way they can set their wallpaper to their BFFs photo, make the cursor a cute dog and not install anything a popup tells them to :wink: In the beginning you'll get asked to come and install this that and the other but that soon dies down after saying "what is it and what does it do ... ah right, that'll be a no".