Actual travel note Germany (continent)

islandhopper

Due to severe weather conditions and according to this weeks legislation all car drivers in Germany are forced to use special 'winter tyres' mounted to their cars in wintry conditions. These tyres must be marked on their flanks with letters 'M&S' and/or a little starlike 'snow flake'.

As it was announced this afternoon, that the new rule starts from tomorrow morning at 00:00 hrs continental standard winter time.

The rule applys to all drivers on all types of German roads including visitors and transit travellers for example en route from Bergium/France to Austria/Switzerland/Poland.

Breaching the rule will be fined between €40 and €80.

A spokesperson of one of the automobil clubs (inofficialy) announced that homebound transit travellers may be exepted for a couple of days.

Additional note:

As a result of the discussions over the last days the German market for winter tyres is completely sold out! If you are forced to pass through Germany within the next days try to get winter tyres either within the UK or en route in Belgium or the Netherlands - but look for the markings! Up to now there are no standardised marks within the EU!

It would probably be impractical to have such a ruling enforced here but I'd really like to see people take a bit more responsibility for themselves and have winter tyres fitted.

The amount of people who you hear complaining about how bad the roads are, how the gritters don't do a proper job or that the SIC should be doing more and yet don't even bother to prepare for winter by having proper tyres narks me off a bit.

@Siccar

Conditions are quite fair.

All airports cleared and minor delays only (except connections with Spain; still delayed).

All major roads in the north including Berlin area are cleared but there a severe forecasts of 'heavy blitz ice' later this afternoon and for the night.

Minor probs with public transport within the Berlin area esp. within the S-Bahn. You should calculate some extra time (for alternative bus shuttles) if you need to go by S-Bahn especially to the eastern suburbs, so I was told by my friends. :wink: