firefox

number 7

found dis the day -

Kid Given Thousands For Spotting Firefox Vulnerability

Tuesday, 09 November 2010 09:15

firefox

Kid Given Thousands For Spotting Firefox Vulnerability

He won't know what to spend it on – send it our way instead

Some of you may know that the Mozilla Foundation hands out financial rewards for supplying information on critical vulnerabilities in the Firefox browser. Now, a twelve-year-old has become the latest recipient of its financial rewards, receiving an eye-popping $3,000 for discovering a critical bug in a JavaScript function.

Alexander Miller from the States found a buffer overflow issue relating to the document.write function. Seeing as this could be exploited and used to bring dodgy code to users' computers, the vulnerability has since been fixed and Miller has been credited as a Security Researcher.

Apparently, the lad has told media across the pond that he was encouraged by the increase in the amount paid for finding bugs – from a so-so $500 to a juicy $3,000 – and he spent 90 minutes every day for 10 days trying to find one worthy of the reward. While other kids were out having fun, Miller was at home making money. Expect to find him making America's list of top earners when he hits his thirties.

Why anyone doesn't use Firefox - or rather DOES use IE - is beyond me. The council should do good to switch their standard browser to Firefox because there would be protection benefits.

Reading this on solitary IE tab which I have to keep specially for Shetlink. Everything else I look at is in Firefox; but Shetlink will not function on it so I have given up shouting at it!

I wouldn't use firefox in a million years. Slow, unstable, and about as secure as a toilet paper chain in a doonpour.

Over the past 5 years at least almost every single PC I've had to clean or in some cases reinstall has been down to malware the users accumulated following the "switch" to firefox.

Chrome isn't bad, but IE is streaks ahead of the rest for the windows platform.

Over the past 5 years at least almost every single PC I've had to clean or in some cases reinstall has been down to malware the users accumulated following the "switch" to firefox.

Over the past 5 years almost every PC I've had to clean or in some cases reinstall has been down to malware the users accumulated having not "switched" to firefox. ;)

The council should do good to switch their standard browser to Firefox because there would be protection benefits.

Protection benefits... and an administrative nightmare for the IT department. Believe it or not there are some very good reasons why IE is used (or rather why all other browsers aren't) on large Windows networks. The main one being you can centrally manage browser settings and lock end users out from tinkering with them - a potentially bigger security risk than allowing them to hit the net using IE6 in the first place.