Radio 2

mitzy

Not being in Shetland at the moment, I don't know if this is what's happening, or if it even still does happen, but certainly at one time there used to be an occasional odd listening experience with the Bressay transmitter.

If the link somewhere between Bressay, Fair Isle, Orkney and the mainland went down, a backup link would kick in. I'm not sure if this was via ISDN or satellite, or just through transmitters being re-routed.

The problem was, the backup link was on ever so slightly on more of a delay than the main link, so when it kicked in the audio coming out your speaker would ever so slightly jump backwards by a few seconds.

This was fine if the link went down for long periods of time, but occasionally it would cut in and out once every 10 seconds. This meant that the backup would kick in for a couple of seconds every 10 seconds. The resulting audio sounded like a CD constantly skipping.

I nearly passed comment once how a Radio 2 pre record had been skipping constantly for hours, until I realised all the other national BBC stations were doing the same.

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know why Radio 2 reception has been dodgy or even absent this past couple of days?

For the past few weeks now, it has been complaining when I lift my cordless kettle off its base to pour a coffee - none of the other stations seem to mind.

{It crackles and buzzes just the same if I make tea, or mix bouillon powder for stock, so it's not the coffee upsetting it!}