Radio Reception

gingerlynn

Hello - recently moved to Yell, and having difficulty getting radio reception in the house (and in the car a bit as well). Any suggestions on what to do to improve the situation? Miss the radio bit of the radio alarm clock.... Cheers - Lynnx

(***Mod Edit - Moved to Science & Technology***)

for the home i would reccomend getting an internet radio, not only can you get the usual suspects but you can get many many more stations.

the car you just have to live with really.. but there are not many places now you cant get a decent enough reception in the car.

Hm.... would an external antennae and booster help with DAB? I have a vague memory of someone saying that DAB wasn't good up here either. Would I have to connect to an external antennae like connecting TV to aerial or is it more like wifi? Should I just settle for reading a book in bed instead of listening to the radio?? I do listen through the laptop but also get irritated that i can't listen to the local broadcasts live through streaming. Other than that - thanks for all the suggestions and keep them coming! Lxx

DAB still wouldn't get you LOCAL Radio anyway.

WiFi radio's are cheap and easy to set up, we couldn't live without our iblick (we NEED our radio 7), but if you want LOCAL radio, it'll be a sticking up an extra aerial, most small powered indoor tv aerial's do FM and some have a booster

• 4 weeks later...
Guest metallica man
Thanks to all of you who responded. next time I'm in town I will pick up an aerial - we are getting a flue liner put in so maybe we can do something while we have the ladders out! Many thanks and Happy New Year! Lxx

It might be worth thinking about puuting the aerial in the loft rather than on the outside of the building, unless you upgrade the pole & bracket as the ones you get in the kits are pretty rubbish for here in Shetland!

Guest CyprusPluto
As far as i know there is no DAB up here at all. an external areal would only help with analogue

That's what I thought as well Twerto. My DAB cannot find any stations on Shetland anyway.

So why are Tesco's selling DAB radios?