Save Shetland Coastguard

millie

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12007031

how can closing stations and only having 3 24/7 sites in the whole country be providing a better service to busier seas and coastlines......

I can only see 2 24/7 with one further daylight subsite in scotland. going by the map I can see Stornoway being the only real option for that second site, with Liverpool being the other subsite for Aberdeen. (page 24 http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga07-home/shipsandcargoes/consultations/mcga-currentconsultations/hm_coastguard_proposals_for_modernisation_consultation_2010.htm)

Is it just me or are all their facts and figures based on last year??? We had quite a calm year last year, would things be different if they'd chosen a more typical year?

often the full import of such controversial decisions are know only by a small select cabal for obvious reasons.

..of which the source I refer to is one.

Care to name this source Seaflech?

I too know several of the decision makers in MCA Hq and not one has even hinted at the RNLI being interested in taking over coast rescue teams.

often the full import of such controversial decisions are know only by a small select cabal for obvious reasons.

I too know several of the decision makers in MCA Hq and not one has even hinted at the RNLI being interested in taking over coast rescue teams.

Well I didn't just make it up, Quarffie! I'd rather not name the person who told me the above if it's alright with you, I don't think he'd appreciate his name on a public forum without consent. He mentioned on two occasions that it was being looked at, as the RNLI already run the lifeguard services on the 'warm' beaches down south, and it would eventually be an extension of that, should the proposal go ahead.

Don't shoot the messenger!

I was going to say that this new Government are slowly destroying this country, but unfortunately the destruction isn't that slow - in the last couple of months we've learned of losing Coastguard tugs and now the actual Coastguard stations, the cancellation of the Nimrod after more than £3bn has been spent on it, (now to be broken up for scrap apparently), and that for the next 9 years we are going to have aircraft carriers with no aircraft on them.

These massive changes have been announced in a very short space of time - what else is lurking round the corner?

Well I didn't just make it up, Quarffie! I'd rather not name the person who told me the above if it's alright with you, I don't think he'd appreciate his name on a public forum without consent. He mentioned on two occasions that it was being looked at, as the RNLI already run the lifeguard services on the 'warm' beaches down south, and it would eventually be an extension of that, should the proposal go ahead.

Don't shoot the messenger!

This I THINK will never happen! Being a member of a Coastguard Team and having my Brother on the Lifeboat out at Eid, I find this very hard to believe.

The RNLI run a completely different set up and have told the MCA on more than one occasion they WOULDNT take on the coastguard rescue service.

For your info!

^^^^^

Like I said No 1: I was just passing on a pertinent bit of information that I thought I would throw into the argument.

Like I said No 2: Don't shoot the messenger!

I too was in a Coastguard cliff rescue team for 3 years, but it didn't mean I knew exactly what was going on at the top of the tree.

I bet nobody thought that the prospect of closing the Shetland Coastguard station would be brought up, but unfortunately it has.

To bring a more constructive comment to the thread, as the Government have now given a 14 week consultation period to decide which of either Stornoway or Shetland shoudl stay open, or should I say, they each have to prove which one is more valuable (a pretty low way of playing them against each other), what exactly do they expect each respective station to do to justify themselves? What a mad situation.

^^^^^

Like I said No 1: I was just passing on a pertinent bit of information that I thought I would throw into the argument.

Like I said No 2: Don't shoot the messenger!

I too was in a Coastguard cliff rescue team for 3 years, but it didn't mean I knew exactly what was going on at the top of the tree.

I bet nobody thought that the prospect of closing the Shetland Coastguard station would be brought up, but unfortunately it has.

To bring a more constructive comment to the thread, as the Government have now given a 14 week consultation period to decide which of either Stornoway or Shetland shoudl stay open, or should I say, they each have to prove which one is more valuable (a pretty low way of playing them against each other), what exactly do they expect each respective station to do to justify themselves? What a mad situation.

Im sorry but you were absolutely adamant yesterday that you had the correct information from an impeccable source high up in the MCA. Both you and your "source" were completely and utterly wrong. There are indeed moves afoot for the Coast Rescue Service but that does not include their outsourcing to the RNLI. If anything, their role within the MCA is going to be expanded rather than flogging them off so can you not just admit that you were completely wrong?

Incidentally, for those who are angered by this and would like to take it up with the person responsible, his name is Philip Hammond MP, Secretary of State for Transport and his constituency e-mail address is:

office@runnymedeweybridgeconservatives.com

Im sure he'd be delighted to hear from you!

I feel that the UK is being raped, everything we hold dear is being stripped away from us. Education, defence, medical and now safety. Where will this stop. Every hostile invader to the UK we have banded together to stop them. Now we have to join together again as a community to stop this.