Save Shetland Coastguard

millie

^^^^^

Like I said No 1: I was just passing on a pertinent bit of information that I thought I would throw into the argument.

Like I said No 2: Don't shoot the messenger!

I too was in a Coastguard cliff rescue team for 3 years, but it didn't mean I knew exactly what was going on at the top of the tree.

I bet nobody thought that the prospect of closing the Shetland Coastguard station would be brought up, but unfortunately it has.

To bring a more constructive comment to the thread, as the Government have now given a 14 week consultation period to decide which of either Stornoway or Shetland shoudl stay open, or should I say, they each have to prove which one is more valuable (a pretty low way of playing them against each other), what exactly do they expect each respective station to do to justify themselves? What a mad situation.

Im sorry but you were absolutely adamant yesterday that you had the correct information from an impeccable source high up in the MCA. Both you and your "source" were completely and utterly wrong. There are indeed moves afoot for the Coast Rescue Service but that does not include their outsourcing to the RNLI. If anything, their role within the MCA is going to be expanded rather than flogging them off so can you not just admit that you were completely wrong?

Incidentally, for those who are angered by this and would like to take it up with the person responsible, his name is Philip Hammond MP, Secretary of State for Transport and his constituency e-mail address is:

office@runnymedeweybridgeconservatives.com

Im sure he'd be delighted to hear from you!

Yes, you're quite right, everything I've said is complete nonsense. I will have a word with myself.... :roll:

Jeez, calm down man. I thought the idea of public forums was for people to voice their opinions. I'll make sure I run all mine past you for sanctioning first.....

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) OK I don't think we should all be having a go at Seaflech

2) to be honest, I've seen this coming for a while, several of my colleagues can confirm that. However, I did not expect the "powers" to be quite this destructive in one hit; maybe 10 years from now we would have 2 or 3 super stations after a gradual reduction - but not in the proposed 3 or 4 year time scale that is the current proposal...

3) Shetland and Orkney have a comparatively small population - when compared to mainland towns for example; therefore if you want the local Coastguard co-ordination centre to survive it is essential that you, your family, your friends and their friends and family speak out now... we've until March, when the consultation period ends, and by then Shetland and Orkney need to have shouted loud - louder than Stornoway at least.

:idea: Support Shetland Co-ordination centre.. see http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga07-home/shipsandcargoes/consultations/mcga-currentconsultations/hm_coastguard_proposals_for_modernisation_consultation_2010.htm

and please make sure you send the form back (see here:) http://www.smart-survey.co.uk/v.asp?i=29422xkfhs

thanks.

Misdirection/distraction is how politicians do these things.

Not just Stornoway vs Shetland

Leuchars/lossiemouth is another, whilst everybody is focussed on fighting their corner it turns into Moray vs Fife and meanwhile the validity of the original proposition goes unchallenged.

Same thing has been happening in other areas eg fire service control centres.

1) OK I don't think we should all be having a go at Seaflech

Thanks! I'm still trying to figure out what I said that has caused so much vitriol.

I think it would be an absolute travesty for 'them' to close either of the stations, let alone pitting them against one another. Will have to think more carefully where my X goes at the next elections....

Quarffie is right we need to mobilise and make our feelings heard. Use this 14 week period to make as strong a case as we can for the Stations retention. Use the links provided to have your say in the consultation process. Its just a shame we have to play this sick game of "my stations better than yours" only a politician could have thought that one up! Use whatever other means you can think of as well such as contacting Alastair Carmichael, writing to the papers, contacting the Minister, whatever you can do to aid the campaign would be greatly appreciated. Theres also a Facebook page which already has over 1000 likes!

Can I also suggest that as part of this process and perhaps before you take part in the consultation process, if you have not already done so, come along to the Coastguard Station and get an idea of exactly what it is we do. The Government has always tried to suggest that we are little more than call handlers, along the lines of Ambulance Control, but our job is far more complex than that.

We would be delighted to see you, you will get a full run down of all the services we provide and it will perhaps give you some ideas as to how to answer the proposals.

Juts give us a ring before you come along in case we have an incident on, you will be more than welcome.

Thanks everyone, a good start - but we need more!

Also, can I ask that you also complete and send the "official" response form to the consultation....http://www.smart-survey.co.uk/v.asp?i=29422xkfhs

(consultation document here: http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/m.....n_2010.htm)

Are we right to shout "Save Shetland Coastguard"?. By that I do not mean is it worth saving which of course it is but should we really be joining together with all the other threatened Coastguard Stations and simply be shouting "Save the Coastguard". Falmouth threatened with night-time closure and Brixham threatened with closure and so on..

Yes I know the government is committed to saving money but closure (or partial closure) of the Coastguard Stations is a threat to peoples lives and should be stopped

Trust me, their local communities will be making a fuss.

A mercenary view perhaps, but in my opinion, let them worry about their local Station - it's fairly certain they aren't making Shetland a priority ahead of their local :)

Listening to MCA person being interviewed on BBC Radio Shetland has convinced me that I am right to say that what is needed is a concerted effort from all coastal communities to convince those who would cut costs of the value of local knowledge within Coastguard Stations. After all it could be a Shetland boat coming aground at night off The Lizard when, if this plan goes ahead, Falmouth Coastguard will be closed. Or I guess a Penzance boat in trouble off the back of Bressay with no Shetland Coastguard to help.