Save Shetland Coastguard

millie

Kiech and donut. Is the real gripe here that you are miffed that the Shetland staff did not go on strike? You seem to mention it rather often and it is entirely irrelevant to this thread.

Other than of course the fact that the staff in Shetland realised that their prescence locally was crucial to maintain safety at sea, which I for one commend them for. That's exactly why I feel these proposed closures are wrong too. Not just Shetland either.

Do you feel otherwise? It seems a rather odd stance if you are a coastguard officer I must say.

Please correct me if I have picked you up wrong!

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Language problems?

Try listening to Air Traffic Control at a busy hub.

The Shetland dialect is quite easily to understand for someone who is a Sooth Moother.

To a Shetlander, according to Moffatt, English, its written and spoken form comes with some amusement.

Shetlanders change the way they speak to non-Shetlanders because they know they cannot keep up.

It is quite rude of you to bring up a language issue as to the reason to close an important service at the tip of the UK.

You may want to change your "creedist" attitude.

If the goverment really thinks this is the way ahead to close vital rescue service stations such as the coastguard then this country really has gone bannanas !

It makes you sick when you think of the bonuses these bankers with a w are getting paid , and we the public bailed them out , and what thanks have we had , sweet fa ! That money should be getting paid into the coffers of services like the coastguard !

And now there going to close our station !

Personally the whole thing stinks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Save our station and save lives !

kiech and donut, i think that you are both massively underinformed about the whole situation.

it is incredibly stupid, in my opinion, for the government to even consider closing the coastguard station here, given the vast area which it 'looks after'.

all coastguards perform a vital role, and in an island community, this is higlighted even more.

Why should anyone support Shetland Coastguard?

You worked normally when the rest of your Coastguard colleagues were striking for better pay. Which you would have benefitted from.

Secondly, why are you moaning about being closed, you voted LIB DEM and so you are getting what you voted for. Danny Alexander although not your MP is responsible for the cuts, and he's LIB DEM. The people of Moray should also stop moaning about RAF Lossiemouth for the same reason.

Thirdly, Shetland is the least busiest coastguard station in the UK. Don't try to deny that one.

Fourth, the loss of 15 jobs is hardly likely to bring the Shetland economy crashing down now is it?

So I ask again why should anyone support Shetland Coastguard station

kiech

I believe MRCC Shetland remained open during industrial action to prevent death or serious injury to friends, family, colleagues and damn it protects the seafarers and coastal users around the Northern Isles!!!

I think if you take a little time to do some more home work you will see the LIB DEMS are supporting the retention of MRCC Shetland, and, exactly how do you know the voting behaviour of MRCC Shetland staff and supporters ?

OK possibly not the busiest station, but least busy? Exactly where did you get your figures from? MCA management? I believe all coastguard stations have not been keeping statistics due to their ongoing industrial action ?

Its not just 15 jobs, and with some basic skills you should have been able to find on the web just exactly how many people watch keep and manage the station! You are also forgetting about the companies that service the coastguard station!

Lastly

Because if we listen to idiots like you we will have little or no coastguard in the UK and people will lose their lives.

Now i think the air in shetland has affect your judgement on this subject.

These jobs you mention are few and far between, look at MRCC Falmouth who can co-ordinate incidents in the Indian Ocean from their ops room in cornwall with the advances in technology, so to justify your existance by naming a few jobs which happen about every 10 years is not argument at all.

These would in my opinion be dealt with quicker and more efficiently from a MOC in Aberdeen.

I think poor kiech is getting a hard time from you guys for speaking the truth about MRCC Shetland.

Home truth is that you know MRCC Stornoway has a better comms link and is a custom built building and larger sea area to deal with so you guys know that is RIP for Shetland MRCC.

As kiech rightly suggests that you are only trying to save your own skin at the expense of other stations, would you be going to all this hassle if it was decided that MRCC Shetland was to become a MOC? I think not, so get a life and move with the times and if you want to remain as coastguards then apply for positions at the busier stations.

Final point i read was someone on the forum suggesting that shetland doesnt get wee 30 mins jobs of a kid lost on the beach like Solent, to be fair your beaches are too cold for penguins in the summer so no potential jobs there on the quiet islands of shetland.

Quarffie

I would just like to ask what information we supplied is incorrect.?

The number of incidents you had from 01/01/2010 was exact!

Keiche's valid point about you working through the strike, no support from MRCC Shetland and now you are looking for the support from people to save your own skin.

No points you mention are invalid, basically you are only at the station for the what if's!

Let me put one to you! What if Shetland MRCC wasn't there? Would we notice, i think not.

Creel Fishermen at the back of Foula !!!!

Surely the RNLI would rescue them as always only co-ordinated from the high tech MOC in Aberdeen.?

What range would you consider acceptable to co-ordinate a rescue, surely just the successful outcome is what counts.

I think you guys really have your heads in the sand going on about Local Knowledge and Accents.

You could all possibly get jobs back at the MRCC Shetland when it is sold and changed into the Shetland Coastguard Memorial Cafe

Now i think the air in shetland has affect your judgement on this subject.

These jobs you mention are few and far between, look at MRCC Falmouth who can co-ordinate incidents in the Indian Ocean from their ops room in cornwall with the advances in technology, so to justify your existance by naming a few jobs which happen about every 10 years is not argument at all.

These would in my opinion be dealt with quicker and more efficiently from a MOC in Aberdeen.

I think poor kiech is getting a hard time from you guys for speaking the truth about MRCC Shetland.

Home truth is that you know MRCC Stornoway has a better comms link and is a custom built building and larger sea area to deal with so you guys know that is RIP for Shetland MRCC.

As kiech rightly suggests that you are only trying to save your own skin at the expense of other stations, would you be going to all this hassle if it was decided that MRCC Shetland was to become a MOC? I think not, so get a life and move with the times and if you want to remain as coastguards then apply for positions at the busier stations.

Final point i read was someone on the forum suggesting that shetland doesnt get wee 30 mins jobs of a kid lost on the beach like Solent, to be fair your beaches are too cold for penguins in the summer so no potential jobs there on the quiet islands of shetland.

I think its you Sir, That needs to get a life..

Lets hope you are never in need of an Emergency Service... :!:

Creel Fishermen at the back of Foula !!!!

Surely the RNLI would rescue them as always only co-ordinated from the high tech MOC in Aberdeen.?

What range would you consider acceptable to co-ordinate a rescue, surely just the successful outcome is what counts.

I think you guys really have your heads in the sand going on about Local Knowledge and Accents.

You could all possibly get jobs back at the MRCC Shetland when it is sold and changed into the Shetland Coastguard Memorial Cafe

Whats wrong with you ?

You seem to be revelling in the fact that people may be losing thier jobs !

I suggest you stop wasting everyones time and grow up a bit !

Guys i am not reveling in the fact that people are losing their job at all.

If that is what you think then you have me completely wrong.

All i done was threw in a few facts and figure to express how quiet MRCC Shetland is. You cant expect the tax paying public to pay you for doing nothing.

Granted you do get a big job occassionally but with my comment regarding MRCC Falmouth, why could a MOC in Aberdeen not deal with it?

Like the comment from Keiche said about you not striking when the rest of the coast were fighting for better conditions, how do you expect anyone to give you support now?

If the role is vital to the community then open up a coast watch station and see how much good will there is on the island, you are just wanting to line your pockets and fleece the tax payer!

The comment about being around 15 jobs slashed at MRCC Shetland is quite correct, even to suggest that local cleaning and maintence companies will suffer is a crazy statement. If a cleaning and maintence companies rely on the business from HM Coastguard then they cant be very stable businesses