Save Shetland Coastguard

millie

Hi -new to this so please forgive.

There have been a lot of comments on the various communication technologies but here is my tuppence worth.

1. sat comm: is point to point not broadcast (no-one else can hear the tx)

2.mobile phones are point to point technology, oh and no-one else can hear the tx (although the MRCC can re-route).

3. Channel 0 pagers are the newest CG pager system replacing Vodafone both have their pluses but both have their problems due to the Shetland topography.

4. The microwave link south is susceptible to atmospheric and environmental factors, electrical supply and single point of failure problems -in other words not resilient and cannot be guaranteed and follows the self same route south. Also a power cut in Scalloway will cut the signal to the Scalloway transmitter taking out Vodafone and O2.

Enough for now I think

PS Moddie if this ends up in the wrong place, please put it into the Shetland Coastguard thread.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also new to this but have signed up to add whatever support I can to this highly important cause.

I carry a pager and am on call almost 24/7, I have found the need for three methods of reception in attempt to cover most of Shetland but this does NOT cover everywhere, this still depends on conections to the mainland working, it is not reliable enough to depend upon totally.

One thing springs to mind, while it is important to learn as many facts as can about this rediculous situation it will be every bit as important to be seen to object to any proposal to close either station, while Shetlink is an excellent medium for this.

When are the supporters of the stations under threat going to be seen on the streets of Lerwick and Stornoway, hopefully at the same time !

Great News! Shetland's Member of the Scottish Youth Parliament Nicole Mouat put forward a members motion to be discussed at the March sitting stating that there 'should be no closures to Scottish coastguard bases'. We have received confirmation that it will be debated and voted on by the membership. Lets hope that if it receives enough support, it will become Scottish Youth Parliament policy.

Thanks guys/gals! All this helps in raising the profile of the campaign and hopefully, with all these voices against the proposal Westminster will eventually get cold feet, especially if they think it will lose them votes in the future.

We need everyone to keep the pressure up please, you can help by writing to MP & MSP and to the shipping minister (Mike Penning) and the secretary of state for transport (Philip Hammond).

Completing the feedback to the MCA proposal will help too, and signing our petition - either in the shops or online.

Links to all these (including required evidence to complete the MCA feedback) can be found at www.shetlandcoastguard.info

and/or follow us on our dedicated campaign site - www.saveshetlandcoastguard.com

we're also contactable direct at soscg@shetlandcoastguard.info

thanks

1. sat comm: is point to point not broadcast (no-one else can hear the tx)

2.mobile phones are point to point technology, oh and no-one else can hear the tx (although the MRCC can re-route).

Mobile phones are not reliable full stop and should not be relied upon in maritime scenarious, they dont always work offshore.

The aim of the Sat comm link would be only to activate transmissions of the aerial sites which would still transmit/receive on the required channel (Ch16/0/67/10 etc)

3. Channel 0 pagers are the newest CG pager system replacing Vodafone both have their pluses but both have their problems due to the Shetland topography.
Channel 0 pagers are not the newest paging system I am aware that it has been around for over 20 years and also offers voice over transmission

4. The microwave link south is susceptible to atmospheric and environmental factors, electrical supply and single point of failure problems -in other words not resilient and cannot be guaranteed and follows the self same route south. Also a power cut in Scalloway will cut the signal to the Scalloway transmitter taking out Vodafone and O2.

Enough for now I think

All forms of communications are sesceptible to atmospheric and environmental problems and in the same sense cannot be guaranteed if you want to look at it that way. Some of these problems can be overcome by filtering and emergency power supplies at the aerial sites.

We need to look at the real threats to the proposals and not some that can be discounted easily. These threats include the loss of local knowledge, the truth that this proposal doesnt really give true resilience, imagine 190 aerial sites (Channel 16) falling to one MOC? It must be pointed out that not every one uses GMDSS as their method of comms (Small fishing boat, small pleasure boat etc) and that if the present system is not continued life will be lost.

Start asking questions on how they intend making this work or that work, dont give ideas because you are playing into their hands.

Channel 0 pagers are not the newest paging system I am aware that it has been around for over 20 years and also offers voice over transmission

The swissphone Ch0 Pager is the newest issue to HMCG! Before this it was Vodafone pagers.

[quote name='

We were on the streets Tuesday (Up Helly Aa)

we plan to do it again soon ]

Good' date=' let it known in plenty of time so others can be visably involved.[/quote']

This Thursday, lunch time onwards :)

Of course, it is dependant on the weather being kind, I think if it's as windy as it has been in the last 24 hours, or wet (when the petitions get soggy) we might have a rethink. :D

(edit: spelling)