Save Shetland Coastguard

millie

Real life situations have to be considered; not all important messages are passed clearly, the opposite is often true...especially when the first informant is panicking, even more so when the person is very drunk, and panicking. It's hard to get good information in these situations, add to this that the person is screamin at you in, say, a Whalsa accent....then the line goes dead. What do you do? The coastguard has a translation service, but I dont think that's gonna help....

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tavish seems to think the enquiry will knock it on the head

http://www.shetland-news.co.uk/2011/February/news/Coastguard%20plans%20%E2%80%9Cdead%20in%20the%20water%E2%80%9D.htm

SHETLAND MSP Tavish Scott has said the Maritime & Coastguard Agency’s (MCA) plans to close coastguard stations throughout the UK are “dead in the waterâ€, following the decision by the House of Commons transport select committee to hold a fresh inquiry into the matter.

Real life situations have to be considered; not all important messages are passed clearly, the opposite is often true...especially when the first informant is panicking, even more so when the person is very drunk, and panicking. It's hard to get good information in these situations, add to this that the person is screamin at you in, say, a Whalsa accent....then the line goes dead. What do you do? The coastguard has a translation service, but I dont think that's gonna help....

Seeing the uproar about how coastguards wont understand accents etc etc etc certainly should be making mariners think that in the future they will have to be competent in passing an accurate position and not just a range and bearing.

There are many pleasure craft users who at the moment are totally incompetent.

Its about time they took responsibility for themselves and learnt how to use their equipment properly, therefore making the coastguards job a lot easier.

There is a lot of talk about local language and accents.

Can someone tell me, how many of the coastguards are not local people?

How long do you have to live in Shetland to be classed as local?

I don’t agree with your argument, i know a lot o "sooth moothers" who live here and know this place like the back o their hand.

Hi folks

The MCA have scheduled a PUBLIC MEETING for next Monday - MONDAY 28 FEBRUARY at 7.30 pm in the Lerwick Town Hall

It is imperative that the place is packed, nay overflowing :)

Come and hear from the MCA managers first hand,

question their proposals

question their answers

Don't let them go away thinking the community agree, or don't care because of a low turn-out.

Don't be shy! Make sure you are there and tell them exactly what you think :P

Guest SJP17

i was at the public meeting last nite and thought it was a good turn out and the right message was put across by all the speakers that spoke against the proposals ,

However i was slightly disappointed some of our local buisness figures were not there to express thier views such as the chairman of the salmon farmers association , the regional managers of the large salmon companies , Shetland Catch and the pelagic fishermen , Lerwick Harbour Trust , Sullom Voe , Scalloway College , im sure there are many more i missed out , so where were you ?