Save Shetland Coastguard

millie

I too was there, it was a good turn out considering there was only one meeting for all of Shetland. Some were able to get down from Unst.

Many folk did not get their question aired, I was one of them and there were several more who wanted continue after giving the briefest of answers.

Another thing was that the meeting is to be transcribed from the audio they took, although they were very happy, or not too concerned that some folk did not get the mic, so perhaps their text may be different from the actual event.

After meeting Mike and Alex, I found out the true extent of the Coastguards cover and the types of things they get involved in.

I can see the worry mentioned at the meeting about the local side of stuff, as folk mentioned that when the Orkney Coastguard shut down, many of the volunteers left as well. That too could happen here.

The folk at the Knab Station are worried about the cover that will be, or could be lost. With them jumping on the back of the new fiber cable being installed and the manipulation of the figures the MCA, ITC and BT have steamed ahead to try to cut money. There was talk of long delays if certain routes to the Aberdeen MOC became lost, and ca constant drone of how difficult Shetland was to get to, then someone corrected the speaker and said Shetlanders find it difficult to get to Scotland.

There should be more meetings, especially at well used ports, but, you rely on the Coastguard for ALL search and rescue, on land as well as the sea.

Linking all the stations together is a sensible move, but you should still have 24hr cover.

With the scaling down of the Police Force, the fiasco with the Ambulance call center and the Fire Call center. Life is gonna get risky.

Tavish mentioned about the lack of a risk assessment and was told there was one, his reply was that it, or part of it was 3 years old. I think he could have worded his original question.

Spot on Stephen Gordon for his piece in the Times I read Thursday night.

Keep the pressure on, don't loose it.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Announced by the shipping minister - Mike Penning - in Westminster today... the MCA "consultation" period has now been extended until the 5th May (it was due to end on 24th March)

We're not entirely sure why it's been extended - it could be the amount of resistance from around the UK coast, it could be due to Holyrood (and Welsh) elections soon, or that European trades unions representing seafarers have written to Mr Penning... or none of these things :)

Orkney have their public meeting, from MCA management, next week - Tuesday 15th in Kirkwall Town Hall, so they can see what it's all about first hand!

Finally (for now) can I ask that any shops, businesses etc that still have Save Shetland Coastguard petitions let us know please, we are now collecting them back in but may inadvertently miss some - if we do, call us on 01595 692976. We'd like to have them all back by Monday 14 March if possible Thanks.

~ Q

The election will be headline news. I think it looks a tad deliberate.

Keep the pressure up....

If the lib/tories close the coast guard Tavish will be finished in Shetland - unless they conveniently leave the announcement until after the election.

Who said the chuckle brothers couldn't influence the cabinet.

If the lib/tories close the coast guard Tavish will be finished in Shetland - unless they conveniently leave the announcement until after the election.

Who said the chuckle brothers couldn't influence the cabinet.

I wouldn't get too excited about Tavish's impending demise. I'm sure he'll argue that the MCA is a matter reserved to Westminster. And besides what's his competition? A parachuted in Labour candidate who, it's rumoured, has never been here before, or the non-existant Tory or SNP candidate? The best the SNP has done so far is to consider then discount Dave Clark's candidacy.

Over 3 million calls and 355,000 incidents in West Yorkshire alone. Hardly compares does it.

I don't think I was comparing anything....however the point I tried to make was the process the Police adopted didn't work - that's why they're reverting to the localised system - cos it DOES work (irrespective of numbers)

The localised system is what we have at present so why change? :?

I don't think I was comparing anything....however the point I tried to make was the process the Police adopted didn't work - that's why they're reverting to the localised system - cos it DOES work (irrespective of numbers)

So if you're not comparing it to the system the Coastguard are looking to adopt, what have the Police got to do with anything.

Control Rooms Become Local

Monday 14 March, 2011

Every division across West Yorkshire Police is to have its own dedicated and locally based control room for dispatching officers to incidents in their local area.

I think this is the point. The whole GOV stratergy is to have local control, hence the Big Society. Yet they want to isolate communities for financial gain, a very small one at that (the gain, not Shetland, b4 someone Trolls it).

This thread is about saving the Coast Guard watch in Shetland.

Nothing has been proved about the new scheme the MCA want except the amount of possible problems it will incure.

Volunteers will leave the service, as they did in Orkney. The whole system relys on local co-ordination.

There was a sad case reported yesterday about fisherman Neil Murray, who was entangled in his own nets and drowned, meanwhile his vessel ploughed on with the autopilot. His wife, MP Sheryll Murray, as reported by the Daily Express was at Westminster debating in the Coast Guard bill.

PUBLIC PRESSURE

Save Shetland Coastguard believe the public pressure has been a major factor in the Shipping Minister making his recent announcement in parliament of a six week extension to the MCA Consultation Process now ending on 5th May.

Given the extra 6 weeks we are now looking for additional assistance with the next part of the Campaign.

The Transport Select Committee have ordered a full Inquiry into the MCA Proposals to Modernise the Coastguard, including the scrapping of the ETV’s (Emergency Tugs) and the removal of the MIRG (Offshore Fire-fighters). Organisations and individuals intending to submit written evidence to the Committee’s inquiry are encouraged to do so promptly. Submissions received before 12 April 2011 will be particularly helpful in assisting the Committee in its work, although evidence will continue to be accepted until 26 April.

Submissions should be made be email to transev@parliament.uk or posted to Transport Committee, 7 Millbank, House of Commons, London, SW1P 3JA

Campaigners would also like as many people as possible to protest to their Westminster MP (Orkney & Shetland – Alistair Carmichael), if they are unsure how, www.findyourmp.parliament.uk will give contact information.

Anybody who would like to help further, would like information to assist you in your submission to the Transport Select Committee or would just like to be kept up-to-date with the local and national campaign(s) to save Her Majesty’s Coastguard (HMCG) from the Governments draconian cuts to this vital emergency service, please contact us by email at soscg@shetlandcoastguard.info or saveshetlandcoastguard@gmail.com

Ultimately the campaign is concerned with the safety of everybody at sea or on the coast if the cuts are allowed to go ahead. The MCA claim the Coastguard service will be improved however, there is no compelling evidence to support this claim. We are not against modernising and improving the Coastguard service but we do not agree with the MCA managers – it is not the right plan for the UK.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...