Save Shetland Coastguard

millie

It is going to be interesting hearing the justification on why the withdrawal of the teuchterland based tug has now been postponed, whereas Shetland's has not. Looks somewhat like nothing more than a numerical compromise.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi all.

As you may already be aware the Government announced a revised modernisation proposal in late July; this revision now abandons the idea of part time emergency co-ordination centres ("day light" centres) and has a smaller reduction in the number of MRCCs (Maritime Rescue Coordination Centres) closing, when compared to the original plan. Also, instead of two Marine Operation Centres (MOCs) there is now proposed to be just one (in the Southampton/Portsmouth area), each remaining MRCC will run operations in it's own area while the MOC can provide back up if required... a much more sensible plan.

The Coastguard officers in the MRCCs are not stupid though :) we realise that in all probability we have only achieved a delay, maybe 5 or 10 years, in the inevitable plan - i.e. 2 MOCs running the entire UK.

In addition, there are still a significant number of stations (MRCCs) marked for closeure this time around: Forth, Thames, Solent, Portland, Brixham, Swansea, Liverpool, Clyde.

A completely new segment of this revised proposal also makes all serving operational Coastguard officers in MRCCs redundant, and forcing those that want to stay into reapplying for their own jobs.

It is concievable that a high number of experienced officers will not bother, having been treated with contempt by the 'authors' of the MCAs plan, and top levels of management in the agency a lot of us have had enough, morale is non-existant. Possibly the coastguard of the near future will be staffed by less qualified, less experienced people.

Personally I'm waiting it out until I see the final plan in the autumn but I am aware of quite a few people leaving already.

This current revised proposal is "under consultation" until the autumn - see www.mcga.gov.uk if you want the details.

thanks, Quarffie

• 2 weeks later...

RIP HM Coastguard in Scotland

By the actions of certain stations (no names mentioned Shetland) we have sold the HM Coastguards place in Scotland, up the river.

By keeping Shetland MRCC open (as it was the obvious choice for closure) we have in essense given away our rights to a MOC in Aberdeen.

This as we all can guess will make any government plans in future years to easier to close all the coast stations in Scotland and slowly contract all operations to the MOC in Southampton.

I hope you are all enjoying you moment of aparent victory remaining open Shetland as i see us all closing in the coming years, with no coastguard MOC in Scotland and if you want to remain in the service then moving south the only option.

Congratualtions Shetland MRCC, Killers of the HM Coastguard in Scotland

Dont all get over excited whilst the coastguard station may be save, there is little they can do if another oil tanker decideds to break down in the fair isle channel on a course night!! without a Towing Vessel we can just watch it ruin the beaches once again!

its prob about time the ETV came back into the news or we can say goodbye, the coastguard can only do there job if they have resources at hand!

RIP HM Coastguard in Scotland

By the actions of certain stations (no names mentioned Shetland) we have sold the HM Coastguards place in Scotland, up the river.

By keeping Shetland MRCC open (as it was the obvious choice for closure) we have in essense given away our rights to a MOC in Aberdeen.

This as we all can guess will make any government plans in future years to easier to close all the coast stations in Scotland and slowly contract all operations to the MOC in Southampton.

I hope you are all enjoying you moment of aparent victory remaining open Shetland as i see us all closing in the coming years, with no coastguard MOC in Scotland and if you want to remain in the service then moving south the only option.

Congratualtions Shetland MRCC, Killers of the HM Coastguard in Scotland

Sour grapes. Your endless sneering on this thread negates any previous respect for your opinion.

Run along now.

Mustaffa Donut,

I think I hear your frustration and anger, most of all I think I hear your hate.

Your feelings seem disproportionate to the fact that Shetland is staying open. Maybe there is something else going on for you here? The negative feelings you are experiencing can be harmful to your mental health, you really need to let this go now. The good people of Shetland were doing what any community would naturally do, when threatened they fought back.

I know you are disappointed that Aberdeen is not going to be a MOC, and I am sure others feel the same. Maybe you could redirect your efforts to fighting to keep HM Coastguard united instead of attacking other stations.

Divide and conquer, an effectvie tactic. Can't believe some people still fall for it and sadly what it means is that if Shetland and other coastguard stations are targeted for closure in the future people like Mustaffa won't support them therefore playing right into the government's hands.

As I have said before - Well Done Shetland on managing to save out station.

The unfortunate thing is that other stations will have to close, to which I am sorry to hear, but rather than making snide comments directed at your colleagues you should be uniting to overcome to the closures.

Is there any update on how the “Modernisation†plans are taking shape.

Last I heard the Helicopter contract was up and as yet no replacements have been found, does this mean that there is a chance Oscar Charlie may not operate from Shetland, depending on the new Government/company plans?

As stated in the Shetland Times a while ago, the staff have won to keep their station open however they have to re-apply for their jobs… Why is this? Are they cutting the staff, hence everyone needs to re-apply?

Because from what it sounds like, then I would say the fight is not yet over, and the Shetland Coastguard Service needs more support than ever!

It would be a good idea to look at Shetland Coastguard providing coverage through its Collafirth Hill transmitter instead of Sullom Vow Port Control.

This would provide a more reliable service, help SIC make much needed savings and help maintain long term future of Shetland Coastguard.

Mustafa Donut - were you born a toerag or did you study a GCSE to become one? Your hatred towards Shetland is totally out of place in this instance and not warranted at all, I'd say.

He is simply a troll and not even a good one.

Wind people up, then play the victim when they have a go back. Like poking a dog with a stick and then whining when it bites you.

He likes to give people rope to hang themselves with (piss them off to the point they make threats alluding to violence) and will be getting an enourmous thrill out of this whole thing.

His location is a lie, most of the stuff he says will also be a lie, and he will have set up a new email account to register with this forum. He will almost certainly have several logins for shetlink to make it look like others agree with his point of view.

His interest in Shetland is primarily entertainment when it was faced with closure (probably due to some personal beef with someone up here), but now Aberdeen is no longer going to be a regional centre, it has got personal (hence he is back again) and posting irrational sensationalist Daily Mail-esque opinion stated as fact.

Or I could be totally wrong and he is just a cock.