Blasted Pigeons

onlyjim

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sparrows are ground feeders though they will manage a hanging one. This is my solution to keeping the pigeons away : they walk around and around the cage looking for a way in and would eat in a minute what keeps the sparrows fed for hours. Standard plastic mesh on a wood frame and move it daily.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/heimdal67/FeedCage1.jpg

Guest posiedon
Nothing particular against pigeons, or any other larger bird, but I think I'll make it in a way that only the smaller birds will benefit. I feel sorrier for them.
Shame on you Far Haaf! We all need to eat.

Can you explain why you feel more sorry for small birds than you do for larger ones?

Nothing particular against pigeons, or any other larger bird, but I think I'll make it in a way that only the smaller birds will benefit. I feel sorrier for them.
Shame on you Far Haaf! We all need to eat.

Can you explain why you feel more sorry for small birds than you do for larger ones?

Simple.

I hate bullies.

And in the bird world, just as in the human world, and even the Shetlink world. The small guys always need a little extra help.

A friend uses creels, they do the job. only sparrows can get in so you'll still need to put food out anyway for starlings and blackies. Personally I feed ALL birds that turn up.

As for bullies.... This year I raised chickens at home so the sparrows did really well (32 last year to 90+ this year). There was a really bold youngster who would guard the chicken feeder from the starlings and rock doves. It would sit on top of the feeder and whenever a starling or rock dove came too close it would face it and cheep away. If the larger bird came closer still the sparrow would grab the feathers on the back of its foes head and tug until foe gave up trying to eat.

There's another point, my cockerel won't let the doves eat but sparrows and starlings are allowed when the hens are finished and blackies can eat with the chickens. Possibly get some chickens.