Garages - Fiat dealership

Frances144

When the Fiat Panda first came out, it had the highest number of deaths compared to other vehicles. The safety features were practically zilch. I would never buy one.

You mean the original panda from 30 years ago or the one that came out 6 years ago?

Blimey, has it been 30 years? It was about 1985 I think! Yep, the original Panda. Either way, I wouldn't buy a Fiat.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Gear (the magazine not the TV show) did an article last winter where it took the panda 4x4 and 4 high powered audi, porches and range rovers with 4 wheel drive up into the french the alps and every one of the journalists raved about how good the panda was in the snow. It's not a particularly nippy car but I imagine your Yaris isn't a full on 200hp rocket either so it maybe doesn't matter. For the money its a good little car with the 4 wheel drive. In saying that I once owned a fiat and it was the most unreliable car I ever owned and the fiat dealership at the time had the worst customer service I ever experienced. That was 10 years ago and they do have a better reputation these days.

• 3 weeks later...

Skoda Yeti as well, funky 4x4 and can be serviced etc at Bixter .. Brae garage have diagnostics for fiat and any VAT registered garage can service a car without affecting warranty. I have used brae for my peugeot and they were spot on. Also peugeot have paid to put my car to Orkney for recall work .

Fiat?!? Not really....

I'm still working on forgiving them for unleashing the 500, 126, 127, 128 and 130/131/132 on a trusting and unsuspecting public. Had they never invented the 130 series, the world would have been spared all those clones sold as Ladas, Polski Fiats/FSO and god knows what else. Fiat have many, many sins to answer for from their past. :lol:

The Nissan Juke is available as a 4x4 and is smaller than most, but with no Nissan dealers in Shetland you'll be in the same situation as with the Fiat...

Would the Kia Sportage be too big for your needs? The 4WD versions are 2l rather than 1.2 but you'll be able to get it serviced at J Burgess.

M&R Gair operate as the local agent for Nissans

No, it can be serviced at any vat registered garage, and you will retain your warranty (If they use fiat parts) . Warranty claims need to be done through Fiat, they may agree to have them done locally, but dont have to .

I had a seat, and being Vag group bixter could do warranty work, which would be the same with the yeti I would imagine.

I saw a panda 4x4 in yell, I can see why you are interested in them, it looked very nice, and fiat have improved a lot since the good ole days, I had a 131 !!

Hmm.... so now I need to find a garage that would use Fiat parts and be recognised or approved by Fiat itself to honour the warranty.

Kinda, if you ask for fiat parts to be used for warranty reasons when you get it serviced they will do that, pretty much all garages would do that anyway . As long as they are Vat registered they can service your car. All came about from european block exemption rules, to stop manufacturers forcing you to use their dealers by refusing warranty claims if you didnt . I have had various new cars and never had a problem not using their dealers. Though some shetland dealers are a bit fussy about looking at your car for warranty when you didnt buy it from them ! They have little choice if they are a franchised dealer though

Why bother with 4x4 anyway?

In my opinion if you can't get there with a front wheel drive car with snow tyres fitted you shouldn't really be setting out.

It's just more to go wrong, worse performance and fuel economy, higher road tax, higher tyre wear, etc., etc.

The biggest mistake car manufacturers ever made, IMHO, was to change over from rear to front wheel drive, the handling capabilities for snow and ice went down the tubes with it.

There's a generation grown up now who've almost all never known what rear wheel drive was like to be able to compare, but us older beggars do mind, and every winter curse the crap folk are expected to drive now.

Right, well I have found out that there is an approved Fiat-part-using garage in Shetland (somewhere).

I have also found out that the 4x4 Panda Cross is now not available as Fiat are struggling with the EU law on emissions so none are being imported, made or anything at the moment.

So, I shall have to put my thinking cap on.