Mist on a frosty moarnin

upmakk

Frosty Haar, is all I've ever heard it called over water or low lying land.

I assume 'Frosty Haar' is Scots for 'Hoar-Frost'?

According to Jakobsen, the Shetland word for 'Hoar-Frost' is 'Sjela' [shaela] also in the compound 'Sjela-frost' and the term 'Sjela-wadder' meant 'Weather with hoar-frost or cold dew during night'.

'Sjela' is derived from Old Norse 'héla' [hyela] meaning 'Hoar-frost': 'héla' > 'hjela' > 'sjela' [shela].

This has also given name to the Shetland-sheep colour 'Shaela', described as having: Dark steely-grey wool, like black frost .

If anybody happens to have the album recorded by Bobby Tulloch called 'Goin Aboot The Banks'. There's a song on there called 'Mary's Weather Forecasts' which mentions both Dalamist and Shaela. I think from the gist of the song that neither expression refers to anything over water.

Sadly those great recordings by Bobby aren't on Youtube.. Maybe someday.

Frosty Haar, is all I've ever heard it called over water or low lying land.

I assume 'Frosty Haar' is Scots for 'Hoar-Frost'?

According to Jakobsen, the Shetland word for 'Hoar-Frost' is 'Sjela' [shaela] also in the compound 'Sjela-frost' and the term 'Sjela-wadder' meant 'Weather with hoar-frost or cold dew during night'.

'Sjela' is derived from Old Norse 'héla' [hyela] meaning 'Hoar-frost': 'héla' > 'hjela' > 'sjela' [shela].

This has also given name to the Shetland-sheep colour 'Shaela', described as having: Dark steely-grey wool, like black frost .

Sounds good to me Sjela....... :D