Lerwick's Public Houses

dat-dat

Thanks MuckleJoannie, but your link is about Best Lerwick Pub!!!

I’m not talking about the best; I’m talking about what in reality is going on right now in Lerwick, the state of some of the pubs......that the customer is being treated like a second class citizen....... the simple expectations you would expect anywhere.......clean facilities, service for your MONEY.

It started as Best Lerwick Pub but if you read the whole thread you will see a good few negative comments.

Surely to god there must be sufficient imagination and entrepreneuial spirit out there to provide something a bit different to rival the current offering. Someplace that offers a combination of decent music, attractive surroundings, good locally sourced pub food and in an attractively or imaginitively restored and sited building - all hopefully appealing to a wider demographic - would be a good start.

There isn't one the are all holes, thats every pub in shetland except the Mid Brae Inn only decent pub in Shetland.

It's hard to start a positive thread on Shetlink and keep it that way :wink:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed MuckleJoannie and Far Haaf, it’s good to hear others feel the same; I didn’t expect to walk into the Savoy but also didn’t expect what I found.

As for the positive link MuckleJoannie, one can only live in hope, I’m not on here to have any discussion with small minded people, aggressive people, negative people, belligerent people….just to express my dismay in Service in Shetland Pubs…well that is just the start….it’s a much wider area really but that’s another topic :wink:

I would agree dat to a degree all of the pubs in Lerwick are sub standard, wether it be the actual bar, the toilets, or both. Posers is ridiculus, but the pubs know loads of people will come regardless, but they would get lots more people coming in for a quiet pint or 2 if it was better quality.

And to the person who said the mid brae inn was the only decent pub, the Scalloway Boatin Club is a brilliant standard, in my opinion the best in Shetland but there is many I havent been in for a long time.

but the pubs know loads of people will come regardless, but they would get lots more people coming in for a quiet pint or 2 if it was better quality.

Ah but that is part of the problem. Lerwick's pub owners do not seem to be interested in people coming in for a quiet pint or two but instead prefer customers who wish to get drunk quickly. More money that way.

but the pubs know loads of people will come regardless, but they would get lots more people coming in for a quiet pint or 2 if it was better quality.

Ah but that is part of the problem. Lerwick's pub owners do not seem to be interested in people coming in for a quiet pint or two but instead prefer customers who wish to get drunk quickly. More money that way.

precisely , the buying public is an easy target , especially if they are half cut n stoned

at the risk of the moderator accusing me of advertising; i did change the ferry inn at the shetland hotel into betramis cafe/bar......more along the lines of what some of your writers seem to want. It is primarily aimed at our residents and what we expect them to expect; but is open every day 12-11 ; give it a try.I changed it 3 years ago, so where are you?

Baroc was a good attempt at a cafe bar in Lerwick, but the owners ruined it trying to make a fast buck rather than spending a little time to grow a clientele.

Beltramis is of the radar as far as I am concerned. It is too far from the centre of town for me to drop in for a pint or a coffee when I've got half a hour to kill.

The conditions of the mentioned establishments may just reflect those who frequent them.

My experience is that during the week and early afternoons they have been passable, however the week end folk seem not to be able to aim and prefer to pee anywhere but where they should, feet on the seats and a total disregard for the folk who work there and their conditions of work.

So, if you stop pissing of the floor like incontinent puppies the places could have investment put in them.

The pubs I have worked in in London were looked after on the whole, then though we also lived in the same building, perhaps that is the problem also.

• 2 weeks later...
Indeed MuckleJoannie and Far Haaf, it’s good to hear others feel the same; I didn’t expect to walk into the Savoy but also didn’t expect what I found.

where did you go? just oot o curiosity.

Whats the point of naming and shaming when you can come on to good old Shetlink and slag everyone/thing of rotten?

Why did you not complain to the bar manager at the time or even find out who the owners are and give them a call?

I have frequented most of the pubs in the town and outside and although 2 or 3 are a bloody disgrace you can't tar everyone with the same bloody brush!!

I know there's a need for a fresher pub scene in the town but at the end of the day we're in a recession(spelling), so who is going to spend the money on a building fit for the job and where exactly would this building be?

The Noost and the Thule off the top of my head are the worst for cleanliness(talking toilets here by the way) but can't say there's much wrong with the Legion, Marlix, Da Wheel, The Grand(Posers not included) and the Lounge or even the Queens come to think of it.

Maybe it's just me but when I go out on the piss I don't expect pub toilets to be smelling of roses at 7pm nevermind any later and as someone else said if everyone could piss where they're meant to then there would be no problem!

What is it with Shetlink and toilets at the moment?

:wink:

Cheers