Mid-morning bus to Hillswick

George.

On Thursday morning I arrived back in Shetland. I got off the boat and, as I live in Hillswick, I got on the 7.55am bus to Brae, expecting to catch the 9.40 bus from Brae up to the house in Hillswick.

I stood at the bus stop over the road from the Co-op in Brae and the bus came along on time, gave me a wave and passed on by. I got a taxi. Cost? Twenty quid!!!

During the summer the 9.40 service to Hillswick runs. Any other time it does not but - and it is a big but - the same bus makes the same journey at the same time because it has to get to Hillswick to depart at 10.00am with people going to Brae or Lerwick, wherever.

I don't drive. Next time I get off the ferry out of season, how do you suggest I get home?

Ask a friend to fetch you. Wait until the evening and take the later bus which does go through. Hitch if you don't have too much luggage. Advertise beforehand on Shetlink to see if anybody is travelling that way around that time and offer them a fiver towards petrol..

Well perhaps you could see if any other people in the Hillswick area would like to use this bus outside the summer period and try getting your councillor to press for it to be a year round service. After all if the bus is travelling the route anyway it might even be that fares collected would defray any extra cost.

I was going to say 'walk'....then I checked a map. :?

Seriously though, such is the price you pay to live here, always has been and probably always will be. You either have to be able to drive, or then have to plan your transport requirement around the services there is. If you expect anything near to a "full public transport service", you have to choose to live near the main N/S arterial route, or in one of the few significant population centres.

It would be nice to have a full public transport service everywhere, but in the current "cut, cut, cut" mood, expecting the public authority to subsidise yet more routes I see as unrealistic. In all probability we'll see some of the lesser used routes axed completely on cost saving grounds, before we see any new ones added.

Because of my moans and groans and the help of the community council I understand that the drivers have been told that they can pick me up and take me home at 9.40am. Thank you!!!

That is absolutely wonderful, it solves what could be a very large problem, not only for me but for the rest of the people that live in the area. It also allows the out-of-season tourists (and they do exist!!!) to come along and see the area and what we have to offer.

Big round of applause, eh :D :D :D

^^ I almost don't believe it, an outbreak of common sense and moving things along at a decent speed in the corridors of power. Lets hope its catching, and good on you for making a difference.

If the bus has to travel in two directions anyway, the cost is already factored in to the contract, so its nonsense only to take passengers one way, but rarely do folk behind remote desks think that way. Researching route demand, re-tendering, yadda, yadda is usually the only way they can think. :roll: