Childrens ID when flying

Hollian

Has anyone flown with their children lately? We are flying with our 2 year old in May with Flybe and I'm unsure what ID she needs?

The Flybe website isn't very clear.

Do they need their own passport? Do I add her to my passport? Or do I just take her Birth Certificate?

I thought it was very clear:

Children and domestic travel

Children under the age of 16 do not need to show ID on domestic routes. The adult they are travelling with can vouch for the infant's/child's identification, providing the relevant photo ID is shown (by the adult). On International routes a passport will be required.

Flybe is legally responsible for ensuring children over one year do not travel on the lap of another passenger. When travelling with an infant on a domestic route, therefore, please ensure you bring either a birth certificate or passport to prove date of birth. On International routes a passport will be required.

You need a passport for international travel, including the republic of ireland.

I agree it's not very clear on any of the airlines websites but would advise just getting passports for you bairns.

We got caugt out with Ryanair last summer as our two had never needed passports previously when travelling to the Republic of Ireland, we then discovered a couple of weeks before travelling that they had changed criteria and that they needed them. Luckily we applied and they came just in the nick of time.

I did find out at that time when trying to find another way of getting across that they needed passports to travel from Scotland to Northern Ireland which is a domestic route!

Just for peace of mind getting the passport is worth it!

• 1 year later...

Chrysalis School Montana

Has anyone flown with their children lately? We are flying with our 2 year old in May with Flybe and I'm unsure what ID she needs?

The Flybe website isn't very clear.

Do they need their own passport? Do I add her to my passport? Or do I just take her Birth Certificate?

My sister always carries the ID for her kids when flying, either overseas or domestic- even when the kids were infants. She does a lot of travelling with the family, and she had also seen a security on the Canadian border asking for a US family for their kid’s ID or that they would be detained, because the kids had no resemblance to their mother. She now makes it a point to carry the kids ID wherever she goes and I think it’s a good point too. You can never quite say what would happen while travelling…