multi fuel chimney

Trout81

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Burning unseasoned wood or having your stove low down is a sure fire way for creosote build up.

Burning wood and coal at the same time can form sulphuric acid too.

LOTS of info online in regards to multifuel stoves.

We have two chimneys with 8" clay pots in it. To be safe we've ordered 904/904 flexible chimney liner from a certain flue company online. If clay pots are in good nic it isn't a necessity but 6" liner means that the air doesn't condense within and leave tarry deposits. Burning decent coal too such as anthracite makes a huge difference.

We wanted to buy locally but we got two 6m liners plus cowls, adapters, flues etc for less than £450 delivered to Shetland. Company we ordered from gives fitment kits (cowls etc) free on any order of 6m liner or more and any grade too.

If there is no chimney at all there are some very good stainless steel systems out there that can go up through the house, out a wall then upwards. It is very important to keep in with building regs etc but there is a huge amount of info online.

I thought wood coats it in tar...

It may in certain circumstances, I wouldn't know all the ins and out. I just know when I was buring a mix of scrap wood, peats, coal, and any other old combustible rubbish I could find. Without buring the wood, the rest sooted things up rapidly, but burn wood for a few days and all that gathered soot vanished.

Granted I'm talking an old Rayburn here, which was kept going like a blast furnace, as it provided all the hot water, heated the room and did all the cooking. The oven gauage usually sat in the 400-450 range permenantly, so there had to be a lot of heat in the chimney all the time as well.

The wood was all either croft scrap, like broken fencing posts, gates, doors etc, that had come to the end of their useful life, of then driftwood, so it was mostly all probably very well seasoned.

"Green" wood may well be a different matter, its in kinda short supply here where the tree don't much grow, so I have minimal experience of burning it. Lower temp fires, like a grate etc may well also not have the soot eating capabilities of a glowing Rayburn.