Speeding

Define "excessive". Its very difficult to set a number on "excessive", given that some folk are dangerous if they go over 20mph anywhere anytime, but others can be perfectly safe at 80 or 90, wherever road and traffic conditions allow safe travel at those speeds.

Its not right to drive at speeds in excess or what is safe given the prevaling road and traffic conditions, or in excess of the driver's competence, its downright dangerous. But defining exactly where that line falls is subjective and a moving target.

Define "excessive". Its very difficult to set a number on "excessive", given that some folk are dangerous if they go over 20mph anywhere anytime, but others can be perfectly safe at 80 or 90, wherever road and traffic conditions allow safe travel at those speeds.

Its not right to drive at speeds in excess or what is safe given the prevaling road and traffic conditions, or in excess of the driver's competence, its downright dangerous. But defining exactly where that line falls is subjective and a moving target.

Well put! I suppose I am wondering if it is ok to drive between Lerwick and SVT (and back) everyday at high speeds overtaking everything in your path. But of course I am not talking about anyone in particular, because that would be against Shetlink's T&Cs.

I suppose I am wondering if it is ok to drive between Lerwick and SVT (and back) everyday at high speeds overtaking everything in your path.

The short answer is "No", but when some members of the local Constabulary have been witnessed driving in an identical manner on Shetlands's roads in marked Police cars, for no other reason than get home before their tea got cold, its difficult to condemn outright.

Folk expect other folk to stick within limits.

Nowadays roads are designed with the speed in mind, as are traffic signs, but, humans are not designed to react at speed, we are not designed for it, hence all the safety equipment that seems to be required to travel safely at speed.

Drivers want to make the standards as they go, it is so that it is safe to travel at speed, until something gets in your way.

There are many folk who use the roads other than to drive cars, walker, cyclists and folk on horses.

The speed recommended to pass horses is a max of 15 mph.

Speed is also one of the major killers on our roads. Well, not speed, but those who think they can drive.

I wonder how many of them would cope with driving a Savage or a Mexico nowadays, no electronics, just you.

Well put! I suppose I am wondering if it is ok to drive between Lerwick and SVT (and back) everyday at high speeds overtaking everything in your path. But of course I am not talking about anyone in particular, because that would be against Shetlink's T&Cs.

I could have guessed it was that route.

I used to do that road regularly and saw some appalling driving - not only speeding though. Scariest thing I saw was following a doctors wife and watching her overtaking slowly on the outside of a blind bend :shock:

Drove past the recent aftermath of 4 or 5 fatal accidents in that time - that tends to focus the mind somewhat.