tall ships

hflynn

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to ask the amazing Fiona Dally and Co the following...

Rather than moaning about them on here why don't you then?

Believe me I will be writing to the committee about this and not just moaning as you suggest! We should be proud of our local craft people & "showcase" them as the programme suggested, not ousted to a pier at the back of beyond.

In all I enjoyed the Tall Ships regardless of the poor weather.

I would love to ask the amazing Fiona Dally and Co the following...

Rather than moaning about them on here why don't you then?

Believe me I will be writing to the committee about this and not just moaning as you suggest! We should be proud of our local craft people & "showcase" them as the programme suggested, not ousted to a pier at the back of beyond.

In all I enjoyed the Tall Ships regardless of the poor weather.

2 minute walk from the main pier, hardly ousted!

Anyone going to the event, like myself, surely would have been walking around there anyway it wasn't like they were placed out at Holmsgarth, was it? You are indeed moaning, IMO!

Cheers

2 minute walk from the main pier, hardly ousted!

Anyone going to the event, like myself, surely would have been walking around there anyway it wasn't like they were placed out at Holmsgarth, was it? You are indeed moaning, IMO!

Cheers

I was carrying out surveys over the weekend and Friday and it seemed that manyt of the visitors and crew did not realise that the crafts were out there. Many thought the main event site stopped at the BBC Radio Shetland site and hadn't gone any further.

It really was a shame, especially on the sunday as if the crafts were on Victoria Pier they would have had more trade.

I won't say what some locals thought of the local crafts location...

They could've just reclaimed some land and widened the pier to fit everyone in I suppose! :roll:

What were the options to the organisers? I could plainly see and read from the different literature available to everyone where the stalls were so why couldn't others?

IMO the Victoria Pier was the main venue with the stage etc. Now with this type of event and the type of entertainment involved naturally people look for food and drink close by wether thats booze, soft drinks, pies or fish and chips etc. I'm sure that was the organisers thinking when it came to the layout and I thought it worked well, its kind of tried and tested!

The problem with this type of event or anything else in Shetland you can't keep everybody happy thats just the way it goes.

(*** Mod - snip ***) I bet the visitors enjoyed it and at least people made the effort to set up stalls and go spend the weekend at the pier!

(*** Mod - snip again; watch the tone, ISOT. Please review the T&Cs and remember that this is supposed to be a family friendly forum ***)

My only objection.. well I have two.. main one being evertything shutting so early, only made slightly better to the fact of knowing parties to go too and secondly the cost of olvies.. and feeling conned and embaressed by not just refusign to buy them.

As much as i enjoyed the weekend shinanignas it was a bit like you should never meet your childhood hero... it just didnt live up to the memories I have of 11 years ago but I still congratualte the organisers for what they managed to put on and :shakefist: at the geezer up in the sky for his poor effort at joining in with soem great weather. Would be great to have this every couple of years instead fo every 10 :oP

Would be great to have this every couple of years instead fo every 10 :oP

From what I've been hearing the issue looks more like being whether or not anything at all is going to be taking place in the next few years. Future funding for Flavour of Shetland seems to be unlikely. Any idea about plans for future Johnsmas Foys? Will it also be scrapped and, if so, will there be no summery event in 2012 etc.?

EM wrote

From what I've been hearing the issue looks more like being whether or not anything at all is going to be taking place in the next few years. Future funding for Flavour of Shetland seems to be unlikely. Any idea about plans for future Johnsmas Foys? Will it also be scrapped and, if so, will there be no summery event in 2012 etc.?
So can it be done without funding?. Stall holders bring their own stall. Bands play on the back of a truck and they play for fun rather than a fee. Bar tent is hired by the bar operator. Maybe there is enough put on site (pier or otherwise) that people will pay a relatively small sum to come in. Look at the likes of Cullivoe and the Unst Fest for inspiration.

I should add that it wasn't just the locals who were 'complaining' about the location of the stalls. Many tourists, at the time of interviewing had not been to the stalls or had known where they were. Those that did felt they were a bit out of the way and should have had a prime location.

I haven't set eyes upon any Tall Ships literature so I can't comment on the information given regarding the layout of the crafts. Many assumed (and wrongly of course) that there wasn't much beyond the Bressay ferry marshalling area, and some were put off by the movement of cars there.

Perhaps they could have had a large sign up stating where the local crafts were.

Anyway.

All in all though everyone has been impressed, even on Snday with it chucking it down people were still happy and having a good time.

I must state though that I find ISOT's attitude and in particular language unnecessarily which on this a family forum is clearly out of place.

I do agree with you though that with everything people will find something to complain about (I myself couldn't understand why such a monstrosity of a PA desk was required right in the middle of the pier) however the comments from both locals and visitors were well founded.

Guest SJP17

There is no reason why events like flavour of shetland cant take place just because of the economic situation.

If its planned properly and well attended you should not have to throw money at it to make it work. The event should pay for its self and if it doesnt then somethings not right.

I never went to the tall ships so i cant really comment on anything about it , but i will say that even if they were handing out fifty pound notes at the gate, you'd still get people voiceing thier discontent and views on what was right and wrong.

That im afraid is the nature of the beast !

There is no reason why events like flavour of shet cant take place just because of the economic situation.

I agree completely, though probably best not to change the name to that :lol: .

... even if they were handing out fifty pound notes at the gate, you'd still get people voiceing thier discontent ...

You are right there too; £50 and £100 notes were not being accepted ;-).